• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spiderman 294
2 2

23 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

8.5 IMO.

Thanks so much for responding - if you are thinking this is an 8.5, what areas should I be looking at for defects? To my eyes this is a very very clean book, but is it just that the corners (LR and upper left) aren't 90 degree sharp edges? Just trying to learn. Thanks so much.

10 minutes ago, StyleMantis said:

Thanks so much for responding - if you are thinking this is an 8.5, what areas should I be looking at for defects? To my eyes this is a very very clean book, but is it just that the corners (LR and upper left) aren't 90 degree sharp edges? Just trying to learn. Thanks so much.

There is wearing along the edges of the book, too, evidenced by the whiteness (Right of Front Cover, Top of Back Cover). There appears to be some indenting on the Left of Back Cover, as well.

Edited by Angel of Death

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

There is wearing along the edges of the book, too, evidenced by the whiteness (Right of Front Cover, Top of Back Cover). There appears to be some indenting on the Left of Back Cover, as well.

I see I see. I'm quickly learning how impossible it is to get a 9.8 unless you never touched the book since day one....

Just now, StyleMantis said:

I see I see. I'm quickly learning how impossible it is to get a 9.8 unless you never touched the book since day one....

Not impossible, but it's not easy. You need a keen eye to find them in the wild.

Most newly-printed issues are about a 9.4, but they can usually be pressed into a 9.8.

2 hours ago, StyleMantis said:

Actually this is true and not true. I do find that a lot of the time, people sharing on here tend to grade conservatively. So you may have a lot of people here saying 8.5-9.0 when really it is a 9.2-9.4

That being said it’s good to be conservative. Never assume you have a 9.6 or 9.8. I know it’s intriguing and I myself am sending a couple books in just to see if they have that potential. I’m not expecting it but I’m curious. 

As for this I safely say 9.2-9.4 myself just because there always something you can’t see from pics. And hey if you want 9.6 or 9.8 just send in a bunch pre screened:)

Totally get it - and I'd rather be conservative and be happily surprised than the other way around. I'm in the process of figuring out which books to send in, so knowing especially which ones can be helped with a clean & pressing is a great help. 

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Not impossible, but it's not easy. You need a keen eye to find them in the wild.

Most newly-printed issues are about a 9.4, but they can usually be pressed into a 9.8.

How is this? I don't believe everything off the shelf is a 9.4 and needs a press to 9.8?

All my books I subbed to CGC (Should be here in a few days) have been plucked right off the shelf. 26 pre-screens and 19 came back in 9.8

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

7 hours ago, StyleMantis said:

Not impossible. Just remember, if it lays flat, no spine creases that break color (Not always, some can be manufactured that way), corner blunting, and no creasing from reading will almost always come back a 9.8

15 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

How is this? I don't believe everything off the shelf is a 9.4 and needs a press to 9.8?

All my books I subbed to CGC (Should be here in a few days) have been plucked right off the shelf. 26 pre-screens and 19 came back in 9.8

Did you randomly select 26 copies, or did you purchase the best ones?

22 hours ago, StyleMantis said:

Totally get it - and I'd rather be conservative and be happily surprised than the other way around. I'm in the process of figuring out which books to send in, so knowing especially which ones can be helped with a clean & pressing is a great help. 

Thanks again!

That is a good way to think when sending in books to CGC. If you send books you love, and temper expectations, you can only be surprised. Plus you will learn. Once you have a decent amount of books (and sometimes it helps to get books in a range of grades from VF to NM), you can use them as references when hunting. Pictures and looking online at other people's books helps too but sometimes having them in had really lets you see what makes a 9.2 different from a 9.4 and a 9.4 different from a 9.6 or 9.8

3 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Did you randomly select 26 copies, or did you purchase the best ones?

My LCS was careful enough to bag and board all copies, so I trusted what was plucked for me was good to go.

One copy I know for sure had a small spine tick, and it got a 9.8 (shrug)

A few others had a jagged cut/folding from printing, and some ticks that did not break color, again, 9.8 (shrug)

I can share pics if you want to see. CGC has some sort of grading scale I can't figure out :pullhair:

11 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

My LCS was careful enough to bag and board all copies, so I trusted what was plucked for me was good to go.

One copy I know for sure had a small spine tick, and it got a 9.8 (shrug)

A few others had a jagged cut/folding from printing, and some ticks that did not break color, again, 9.8 (shrug)

I can share pics if you want to see. CGC has some sort of grading scale I can't figure out :pullhair:

Never heard of an LCS bagging and boarding new comics before. None of the 5 that I patron have done that.