• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Graded Comic
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

First time post, new member.

Have a question: just had my first comic graded, 6.5 #1 Iron Man. The notes have me believe that possibly it would have graded higher if I had it pressed, etc. The notes say: light cover tanning, light rippling to cover, moderate bends to cover, moderate creasing to cover and moderate spine stress lines to cover. Should I have had this comic pressed? Would I have been able to fix these problems doing so? Being new to all this, I don't know how to tell. Do I just choose my best comics and go ahead and have them pressed? Is there some way of knowing?? Is it always worth it?

One good point, I graded it at a 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 so I am being really conservative as it came in at 6.5.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. 

I'm learning!

GEng779

Welcome to the Boards!

Pics would help - but things like tanning will likely not have any grade benefits by pressing.

Just as a quick note, feel free to use the "Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" forum before submitting. There's some sharp boardies who will not only offer a grade but also let you know if a press would help or not.

Keep on learning & good luck!

-bc

14 hours ago, GEng779 said:

Hello,

First time post, new member.

Have a question: just had my first comic graded, 6.5 #1 Iron Man. The notes have me believe that possibly it would have graded higher if I had it pressed, etc. The notes say: light cover tanning, light rippling to cover, moderate bends to cover, moderate creasing to cover and moderate spine stress lines to cover. Should I have had this comic pressed? Would I have been able to fix these problems doing so? Being new to all this, I don't know how to tell. Do I just choose my best comics and go ahead and have them pressed? Is there some way of knowing?? Is it always worth it?

One good point, I graded it at a 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 so I am being really conservative as it came in at 6.5.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. 

I'm learning!

GEng779

the only thing a press would help with are the moderate bends and maybe the creases if there is no colour break. But since the big defect here is moderate spine stress then that would not go away and a 6.5 is usually the best you get for lots of spine stress.

Take care!

40 minutes ago, bc said:

Welcome to the Boards!

Pics would help - but things like tanning will likely not have any grade benefits by pressing.

Just as a quick note, feel free to use the "Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" forum before submitting. There's some sharp boardies who will not only offer a grade but also let you know if a press would help or not.

-bc

^^

3 hours ago, bc said:

Welcome to the Boards!

-bc

Much appreciated. I submitted nine (9) for grading, not my very best but some good ones. Will certainly take your advice on all my others. TKS!

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

the only thing a press would help with are the moderate bends and maybe the creases if there is no colour break. But since the big defect here is moderate spine stress then that would not go away and a 6.5 is usually the best you get for lots of spine stress.

Take care!

Thank you. I'm learning.