• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying raw

18 posts in this topic

I bought a book from heritage off one of their ebay only auctions. They were calling it good/vg. It graded out at 5.0 no notes. Golden-age Spirit NN#1.

Has anyone ever purchased a raw book for a major deal that ended up getting a higher grade then they sold it to you for? Please share your success stories if there are any out there.

I have heard of this happening with Doug Sulipa.

Posted this before but it was bought from Doug as a VF:

LOVEROCKETS.jpg

Simiarly, I purchased VF copies of both WWBN and TOD 1 recently and was pleasantly surprised.

Has anyone ever purchased a raw book for a major deal that ended up getting a higher grade then they sold it to you for? Please share your success stories if there are any out there.

I have heard of this happening with Doug Sulipa.

Posted this before but it was bought from Doug as a VF:

Simiarly, I purchased VF copies of both WWBN and TOD 1 recently and was pleasantly surprised.

yowtch. nice pickup.

Los Bros. Hernandez: cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

While he's not a major dealer,he's a strong presence in the marketplace---I've never been disappointed with a book from divadrabnud.Almost all his books are undergraded.

Which brings me to a good point: There are many forumites who are tight and accurate graders who are usually very easy to deal with.

Diva being one of them. Very good grader and I must say, a really good fellow.

Other good graders are:

Banner

Nikos

Flaming_Telepath

Kramerica

October

I know im missing others but those come to the front in my mind

My guess is you are talking about GA/SA High Grade fairly expensive grade books.

I have bought books from Heritage in the past that have graded higher (i.e. they called it VF+ and it came back CGC 9.2). That said, those were from the White Rose collection which I believe they were more strict on, since it was a huge collection and they would sell some books in lots and some individually. I did buy one VF/NM lot that had one book grade CGC 9.6, which paid for the whole lot 2.5 times over. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Unfortunately, a lot of groups that I would buy from them would at best have one or two books in the grade I purchased, with several other books being much lower (i.e. lot of 10 in VF/NM, one or two in VF/NM and some falling into the FN range).

And on that note, I do know of a person who recently bought an over hundred book collection of High Grade Bronze books from a dealer, that ended up having a lot of color touched books. These were not overly expensive books in the guide but of course if CGC'd 9.6 or 9.8 would sell for a decent price. Not anymore.

I point that out only because I get tired of hearing about how BA books, since they are relatively cheap aren't as likely to be restored. While this is somewhat true, many dealers / collectors realize that a NM- BA might be a $1.00 box book, but if it looks NM+ it's a $20-30 books since it's almost deemed uncollectible in anything other than NM or better.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, it hasn't happened to me with anywhere near the frequency with which I've acquired raw books that were graded (and priced) higher than the grade CGC assigned them. Still, it does happen occasionally - for instance, on a 19 book economy submission just recently back from CGC, two of them were graded higher than the raw grade at the time of purchase. You'd probably like to know what dealers these types of raw bargains come from. Most often, they are from local comic shops, but it's also happened with books purchased from Mark Wilson (when he was running World's Finest Comics), Joe Verenault, Ted Van Liew, and others.

Here are a few:

Metro:

Supergirl #1 (1972) 9.4 - CGC graded 9.6.

Zago #2 - 8.7 - CGC graded 9.0

Fight Comics #45 7.0 - CGC graded 7.5

Basement Comics:

Phantom Lady #15 4.5 - CGC graded 6.0.

Wing Comics #90 5.5 - PGX graded 6.5

Harley Yee:

Junior Comics #10, 12, 16 graded between 3.0 and 3.5 - All PGX graded 4.0.

And on that note, I do know of a person who recently bought an over hundred book collection of High Grade Bronze books from a dealer, that ended up having a lot of color touched books. These were not overly expensive books in the guide but of course if CGC'd 9.6 or 9.8 would sell for a decent price. Not anymore.

I point that out only because I get tired of hearing about how BA books, since they are relatively cheap aren't as like to be restored. While this is somewhat true, many dealers / collectors realize that a NM- BA might be a $1.00 box book, but if it looks NM+ it's a $20-30 books since it's almost deemed uncollectible in anything other than NM or better.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very good points, Steve.

I point that out only because I get tired of hearing about how BA books, since they are relatively cheap aren't as like to be restored. While this is somewhat true, many dealers / collectors realize that a NM- BA might be a $1.00 box book, but if it looks NM+ it's a $20-30 books since it's almost deemed uncollectible in anything other than NM or better.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very good points, Steve.

Ditto, if its hot its susceptible to manipulation these days and I'm pretty sure HG Bronze is HOT. news.gif

probably paid 2x guide at the time but it was 8 years ago so it was still a 15 bagger for me. thought of another one- batman #145 from motor city as NM, that came back as 9.6 too. more typical would be ASM #9 purchased from four color as NM-, came back as 9.0. which, given the vagaries of grading, i'd say is acceptable.