• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much luck have you had submitting for a higher grade?

7 posts in this topic

I just want to make sure you are aware there is a whole industry based on finding such books and cracking them.  Your competition will have years of expertise.

By the way, what would you expect would happen if you send it a slabbed CGC 6.0 and ask them to regrade it?

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I just want to make sure you are aware there is a whole industry based on finding such books and cracking them.  Your competition will have years of expertise.

By the way, what would you expect would happen if you send it a slabbed CGC 6.0 and ask them to regrade it?

I used to do it quite frequently with sports cards, so I’m not totally new to the experience. I presumed it was most likely also done in the comic world as well. My experience with cards was quite good, usually received a bump after resubbing. With cards you could send in a competitors slab and ask for a grade, but I never did it that way. I always cracked out and submitted.

It's not uncommon for books to be cracked, pressed and dry cleaned for grade bumps. 

If you get good at picking out defects that can be corrected with a press, you've got a real good chance to improve the grade. 

As far as straight cracking for regarding (no pressing) there are a few schools of thought. 

Some believe grading goes through periods of being more strict and periods of greater leniency.  The general belief is, older books were graded more strictly than newer books. 

I also know of books submitted multiple times and receiving different grades each time. 

My opinion is, you likely won't see a meaningful grade bump by cracking and resubbing in most cases. 

If you can identify pressable defects, crack, CPR and resub, you've got a shot at a meaningful grade bump. 

On 2/17/2021 at 8:54 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I have a book I'm watching that looks like it could grade higher than the assigned grade.  Has anyone ever re-submitted and received a higher grade? If so, did you leave it in the slab or crack it and send it in raw?

I bought a Danger Girl 2 Ruby Red foil raw at the SDCC in 1998. I submitted it 20 years later without a press, plus I had it signed by J. Scott Campbell, via a CGC at the 2017 Boston Comic Con. Came back a 9.6. I asked the same question over 3 years ago and submitted it slabbed, but with a press. Came back a 9.8. I’m not guaranteeing you the same outcome, but it’s worth a try. If you don’t, you’ll always wonder, what if. 3AD6198D-0E3B-4A81-8054-3C11C185F5F6.thumb.png.a0dda71c2765cf1ddb0acafc2649ca64.png

Edited by Otter1775
Wrong date.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:54 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I have a book I'm watching that looks like it could grade higher than the assigned grade.  Has anyone ever re-submitted and received a higher grade? If so, did you leave it in the slab or crack it and send it in raw?

One very important thing to remember, books look better in a holder. The only way to come out a winner is to buy the grader notes and see if they include non colour breaking creases, finger bends ant the like. 

Plus, pressing is a well known thing these days, if the book you are looking at was slabbed recently, then assume it's been pressed. You can find that out by typing in the slab's ID code on the CGC website.