• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning and Pen Marks
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I tried to search and find this but could not, so excuse me if this is already answered. I can not find it.

Can cleaning take out pen marks such as the 7c on the following comic? 

Where can I find something on what a cleaning will and will not do?

Thanks.

sgt fury 1 v2 F.jpg

sgt fury 1 v2 F2.jpg

I wouldn't think so. 

Dry cleaning is kind of like taking an eraser and gently rubbing out dirt and debris. Light pen marks and pencil may come out. 

That mark looks as though it bleeds through the cover.  I don't think that can come out, even using chemical cleaning. 

Chemicals = restoration 

Dry Cleaning = is not restoration 

Nope

And that is not pen, that is marker. Lotsa shops back in the day would marker price down their books. I have a couple (including my ASM #129 with a 7c on the cover for a 7 cents markdown). It sucks a bit when it is dead center but removing it arguably makes the comics appear worse, as you have to literally remove colour underneath the marker or pen. So rather have a marker 7, you have a white outline of it after scrubbing the inks off.

Personally, I don't mind this at all. Affects the grade sure but in a way, adds to the history of when you could get a book (like mine or yours) for a mere 7 cents :)

2 minutes ago, Thorion said:

Might be grease pencil 2c

True...whether it be pen, grease or marker, the only removal process involves scrubbing it and inks underneath off. 

Heck I have even encountered some pencil on the back cover of my comics (like a neatly written 75c), that is stubborn and takes much patience beforre dry cleaning can remove it. Usually I just leave it though since those things dont bother me.