• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Venom - 1 - Red Foil Cover
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I hope you guys aren't tired of seeing this one yet :bigsmile: I am stoked to have found my old collection last week, after thinking I'd lost them all yeara ago. Messy attics are treasure troves ha..

I am honestly proud of the overall condition of my entire collection. I don't have high expectations as far as actual CGC grades, and I am very much receptive to any and all input, constructive criticism etc. So have at it. Just no touchy.

My plan, fwiw, is to sell what is hot and keep what has potential (or thoses with more sentimental value than monetary).

thanks!1306134996_VENOM-1-FC.thumb.jpg.49e6166b376d90b055f49ab1087eb295.jpg

VENOM - 1-FC3.jpg

VENOM - 1 - BACK.jpg

VENOM - 1-TL.jpg

VENOM - 1-TR.jpg

VENOM - 1 - BK-TL.jpg

VENOM - 1 - BK-BR.jpg

Congrats on the find! I have had more than a dozen of these graded over the last couple of years and from the pics I'd say 9.8. I don't see any creases or bends in the photos and the comic looks sharp. Potentially a 9.6 with that BC bottom corner, but lets hope for the best.

Very pleased to read that! And thank you; I'm thinking based on my limited research this past week, this would be prime time to sell?.. Well - not to sell - yet -, but if I were to be getting it graded then I'd need to send out now (in order to get it in time for a much-hyped blockbuster release..)?

Just some leftover questions. Any insight always appreciated.

Which leads me to ask; assuming i am fully intent on selling for profit - is CGC recommended?

Would it be (too) difficult for a long-time, but very low-volume seller w 100% positive feedback, to sell this raw @ a fair price (on ebay or elsewhere)? 

What do we value CGC grading at, from the standpoint of determining a fair raw price? I get that it's really not the cost of the grading and plaquing but the extended wait period, the angst of your item being in someone elses hands.. that's the intangible that factors in and makes pricing tricky... 

Edited by lowlyop

17 hours ago, Galen130 said:

Agreed.  Bottom spine corner of the BC is a bit soft and the ink rubs near the staples can probably be cleaned. (thumbsu

Thanks Galen130. I am new to all of this, still learning - could you elaborate on this? 

Soft means that the corner is lightly blunted, but in this case it might not affect the grade too much.  I really only see it on the back cover (BC) at the spine corner.  Sharp corners are optimum for higher grades. (thumbsu

The light black marks near the spine in the BC (top staple) were either caused by ink transfer from another book, or just light soiling.  This can be steam-cleaned by submitting the book to CGC for a cleaning/pressing, or sent to an independent presser.  There are plenty of fellow boardies who know of someone who does this...i.e. Tony Starks from ComicsInaFlash.

I’m not an expert grader working for CGC, these are just observations and opinions.  This book has 9.8 potential but I think it needs to be cleaned/pressed to get it there...if it’s possible.  That’s why I think it’s a 9.4 as is.  Plus, a lot of us can be conservative in our estimates. (shrug)

For more thorough information on grading criteria, visit the Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues thread.  Then you can post your books and pics here.  I may have overstepped my bounds here, but I elaborated on my grade estimate.  :headbang:

9 hours ago, Bayowolf said:

I dunno, there appears to be a lot of small white flecks, as if color worn off at top of FC in black and red..if so 9.0..if production then 9.4 to 9.6

Fwiw the book hadn't been removed from sleeve until I scanned it this week. It was the first time I'd even seen the BC :P