• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified Grade?

28 posts in this topic

Can somebody give me a good definition of the GLOD?

When a book is in otherwise very nice condition except for a significant defect such as a coupon cut out or a page missing.

The Outside of a book could be Near mint, but with a coupon cut or a page missing it's significantly lower.

So we give it a Qualified label Saying it's (in the case of my example) a near mint copy except for this one defect which we write on the label.

Qualified (green)— A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description. For example, it is would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear."

There isn't one.

Gotta agree with you on this one, Joe C. Got a GLOD on a high grade beauty that had the centerforld detached at one staple - frankly, I don't see how this type of defect deserves to be stigmatized alongside such defects as clipped coupons and large tears.

...it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG...

No it wouldn't, it would be true. It would be a disservice to the buyer to claim that despite the enormous defect it was still somehow a special breed of VF/NM. screwy.gif

No it wouldn't, it would be true. It would be a disservice to the buyer to claim that despite the enormous defect it was still somehow a special breed of VF/NM. screwy.gif

It's like some weird "What If?" illusionary grade, as in "What if the book didn't have a 4-inch cover tear?"

But the problem is that it DOES have that tear.

I think the only time the GLOD really works is for clipped MVS, as that is a common deal from the era and actually doesn't impact the cover.

Don't forget about signed book aspect of the Qualified - depending on where the signature is (on outside cover or inside the book), or who it is (9 year old who wrote his name on everything, notable creator who had a hand in the making of the book, or some collector who wrote his name on his books and is now the telltale indicator of a certain pedigree), your book may or may not get a Green Label when slabbed by CGC .

Funny that if a coupon is cut out it is qualified and marked as incomplete (sometimes?) on the label notes BUT if a page is missing, a book is marked INCOMPLETE with an 0.5 grade confused-smiley-013.gif

There isn't one.

Gotta agree with you on this one, Joe C. Got a GLOD on a high grade beauty that had the centerforld detached at one staple - frankly, I don't see how this type of defect deserves to be stigmatized alongside such defects as clipped coupons and large tears.

Yep, I agree - I've got a couple of HG GLOD's just waiting for the policy change to re-sub or reholder. . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't forget about signed book aspect of the Qualified - depending on where the signature is (on outside cover or inside the book), or who it is (9 year old who wrote his name on everything, notable creator who had a hand in the making of the book, or some collector who wrote his name on his books and is now the telltale indicator of a certain pedigree), your book may or may not get a Green Label when slabbed by CGC .

Funny that if a coupon is cut out it is qualified and marked as incomplete (sometimes?) on the label notes BUT if a page is missing, a book is marked INCOMPLETE with an 0.5 grade confused-smiley-013.gif

Just to clarify if it's a STORY page , it gets an INCOMPLETE with a 0.5 grade. If it isn't part of the story, it gets a grade of X.X. I had a FF 15 graded 6.5Q and said "non-story page missing" and I'm sure we all remember the infamous AF 15 that has 10 pages missing, but no part of the Spider Man story was missing and it received a 6.0Q.

I'm sure we all remember the infamous AF 15 that has 10 pages missing, but no part of the Spider Man story was missing and it received a 6.0Q.

That was just pure stupidity, as there *were* story pages missing, only not the Spidey ones. Even though AF 15 is primarily notable fo rthe ASM appearance, what does it tell you about CGC that it's seemingly alright to slice the other stories out. screwy.gif

How do pin-ups or letter pages being sliced out figure into the GLOD?

There isn't one.

A book is what a book is. If it has a coupon clipped, it needs to be taken into account when grading it. If it is a pristine book and has a 4' back cover rip, then it needs to be graded as such. I have never understood that rationale.

I am still thinking about how replaced staples should be noted 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm sure we all remember the infamous AF 15 that has 10 pages missing, but no part of the Spider Man story was missing and it received a 6.0Q.

That was just pure stupidity, as there *were* story pages missing, only not the Spidey ones. Even though AF 15 is primarily notable fo rthe ASM appearance, what does it tell you about CGC that it's seemingly alright to slice the other stories out. screwy.gif

How do pin-ups or letter pages being sliced out figure into the GLOD?

I tend to agree with the AF 15. It should be ANY story, not just the "main" one. I think pin-ups and letter pages would not count as part of the story, but it's a very good question.

Scott told me the qualified books were going to get a blue label similar to restored. Will it get a numerical grade as well? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There isn't one.

A book is what a book is. If it has a coupon clipped, it needs to be taken into account when grading it. If it is a pristine book and has a 4' back cover rip, then it needs to be graded as such. I have never understood that rationale.

I am still thinking about how replaced staples should be noted 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They should be noted as restoration.

I think the only time the GLOD really works is for clipped MVS, as that is a common deal from the era and actually doesn't impact the cover.

That's an interesting observation. If a defect affects the cover, all bets are off. The grade is what it is. But if a defect affects only the interior...

I suppose you would also have to say that the defect is not the result of wear and tear, but was done intentionally in order to fulfill part of the book's purpose - i.e. MVS's were supposed to be cut out, subscription coupons were supposed to be removed and mailed in, etc.

Seems like that would also extend to puzzles being filled in, pages to color being colored, and the like. A tough one to call would be missing centerfolds. Some old Katy Keene issues I once owned had paper dolls and cutout fashions as the centerfold. Clearly intended to be removed and chopped up. So if you ran into a missing cf you might have to do a little detective work to find out if it was enjoyed as intended, or just lost through age and abuse.

Even in such cases though, I always grade my books strictly, but mention that it's only because of one big defect. The buyer can decide if it's "really" a 3.0 as I state, or if it's "really" a 9.0 that I've viciously downgraded on a technicality.

I wish for qualified grades they would be "Qualified : x.x ; Defect taken into consideration: x.x". It could give buyers more information.

Even better (and more honest) would be "4.0" in the big box, and then something like what PGX does where they say "Would be 9.0 if not for three-inch tear in back cover." At least this way, the notation makes the book sell at a premium to its given 4.0 grade, as opposed to a qualified 9.0, which would sell at a dramatic discount to the given 9.0 grade. The first way of doing things seems like a good way to give that extra bit of information to a consumer -- the second way seems like a weasely way to pretend like a huge defect doesn't exist.