• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this Pictorial Romances #13!
2 2

18 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Point Five said:

:whatthe:  Even with the 3" tear?

No, not with a 3 inch tear. I know overstreet allows 2 inch tear at the 2.0 level so even if this is a bit more than that, I would still go with 2.0.

And yeah, it's that tear that's the biggest detriment. I learnt that dust shadows, while ugly, are not that big a deal breaker for CGC. We can't get super high grades with them, of course, but I've seen some real bad dust shadow get 8.0s. I guess they see it like oxidation and yellowing. Not wear from the user but more like wear from age and the elements.

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

Dust shadow would have no impact at this grade level, but 3" tear will.  

Exactly, and that's the ironic thing! The tear is pretty discreet but that URC dust shadow will just bug me forever. Ah well.

23 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Exactly, and that's the ironic thing! The tear is pretty discreet but that URC dust shadow will just bug me forever. Ah well.

Yeah, not a fan of front cover dust shadows. Every time I see a bigger one on a book in better than 6.0, I think "bad grading". I know CGC doesn't consider eye-appeal in their grades, but buyers do when considering a purchase. I can't how many times I've clicked the GPA link in a Heritage auction and seen a low price on a given grade, and then clicked on Heritage's archives and seen the book in question and thought, "yeah, that's an ugly 3.5" or something to that effect. Conversely books with superior eye appeal for the grade frequently go for a premium. That's what makes me laugh about CVA. They will point to the high price for a stickered copy, as if the sticker adds value, but really it sold for more because anyone can see it's an attractive copy for the grade. 

14 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Yeah, not a fan of front cover dust shadows. Every time I see a bigger one on a book in better than 6.0, I think "bad grading". I know CGC doesn't consider eye-appeal in their grades, but buyers do when considering a purchase. I can't how many times I've clicked the GPA link in a Heritage auction and seen a low price on a given grade, and then clicked on Heritage's archives and seen the book in question and thought, "yeah, that's an ugly 3.5" or something to that effect. Conversely books with superior eye appeal for the grade frequently go for a premium. That's what makes me laugh about CVA. They will point to the high price for a stickered copy, as if the sticker adds value, but really it sold for more because anyone can see it's an attractive copy for the grade. 

(thumbsu to all that! It makes little sense to me that dust shadows on higher grade books are in that special 'pretend not to see it' CGC grading category.