• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh man this makes me nervous...

35 posts in this topic

I would think that restapling a book would qualify as restoration. I know you don't want to neg the guy, but unless he's going to give a full refund, by not negging him you're allowing him free reign to continue to sell [embarrassing lack of self control].

As bad as it might seem that CGC missed some trim jobs, buying RAW books off of eBay is pure SH!TTTTTTT!!!!!!

Restapling definitely qualifies as restoration, but for all I know this guy had no idea it was done. The rest of the book looks pretty good, and if there was color touch, I don't see it. His feedback was good except for 2 negs from the same guy so I took a chance.

The price seemed too good to be true for a VF copy of this book. It usually goes for at least $400 and higher, so I knew something was weird from the beginning. I gambled and lossed, and should have known better. I worry that if I neg him and he negs me back, that would be kicking myself twice.

The lesson is: As you already said, if you want the book in unrestored high grade, it has to be slabbed.

back cover top staple looks like it isn't where the holes are, could be me getting old tho

I can't find either staple so I'm older! 27_laughing.gif

Could be that both are right on the edge and tight to the spine... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If both staples are there it looks 7.0ish to me, 7.5 tops.

I can't find either staple so I'm older! 27_laughing.gif

Could be that both are right on the edge and tight to the spine... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If both staples are there it looks 7.0ish to me, 7.5 tops.

Yes... Someone re-stapled the book exactly on the spine. What you see on the back cover are the old staple holes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back cover top staple looks like it isn't where the holes are, could be me getting old tho

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep. I looked inside and sure enough, the staples have been taken out. The book is re-stapled nicely, but I knew this was too good to be true.

I'm not gonna neg the guy because I think it was partially my fault for impulsively buying the book before getting better scans.

I would think that restapling a book would qualify as restoration. I know you don't want to neg the guy, but unless he's going to give a full refund, by not negging him you're allowing him free reign to continue to sell [embarrassing lack of self control].

As bad as it might seem that CGC missed some trim jobs, buying RAW books off of eBay is pure SH!TTTTTTT!!!!!!

Yes, demand a refund if the staples have been tampered with!!!

That's BS! 893censored-thumb.gif

If the staples were replaced and that was not disclosed seek either a refund, or some other form of compensation because that drops it too Fine (staples can be replaced up to Fine) vintage must be used after that.

If the staples were replaced and that was not disclosed seek either a refund, or some other form of compensation because that drops it too Fine (staples can be replaced up to Fine) vintage must be used after that.

Now we know why the scan was cropped!

It was to hide the extra staple holes!

This seller is a 893censored-thumb.gif and a 893censored-thumb.gif!!!

I'd want my money back even if I paid $20 for it and could flip it for $30 tomorrow.

I refuse to do business with someone who I know is crooked even if I'm not getting ripped off in said transaction.

mad.gif

When I sold my childhood FF 25 and 48 that I did some extra stapling to way back in the 70s on eBay after upgrading many years ago I made clear mention of the extra staples and had a clear scan with them showing even though on the 25 they were hard to see and I could have faked it.

No excuses!

poke2.gif

You are reading from an OLD Overstreet Grading Guide. Pretty much no one, including CGC agrees with that anymore.

Second, replacing staples and putting new staples in a different spot are two different things. If the seller had just replaced the staples in the same hole, I would guess no one would have noticed.

Regarding getting a Neg back, that's the whole problem. If everyone is afraid to get negged back, even if they are in the "right", then why bother with feedback.

It's kind of like saying someone committed a crime, so "I WILL" be more wary of them in the future. Forget punish, forget putting it on a record, why press charges.

If he sends you are refund, give him neutral. If not, NEG HIM!!!!!!

You are reading from an OLD Overstreet Grading Guide. Pretty much no one, including CGC agrees with that anymore.

What are the current grading rules regarding restapling? confused-smiley-013.gif

quote] What are the current grading rules regarding restapling?

I think restapling has ALWAYS been considered restoration.

In the first grading guide, it said that you could REPLACE the staples with vintage staples but that logic made no sense (and I'm sure CGC doesn't go by that rule). If you can replace staples with staples from another book, then why couldn't you replace pages form the same issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

WDB... I buy all my books off eBay and often gamble like you did. So of course I have gotten my share of duds. The good news is, I have had really good results when faced with a bad eBay purchase like this by emailing the seller and first praising him for something such as fast shipping, packaging, whatever. Then, politely state the problem with the book while making it very clear you believe it was an honest mistake on their part. Then offer them two options to make you happy....either return the book for a full refund including shipping, or you keep the book and they send you a partial refund. In this case, I'd ask for at least $50 back. This has worked for me about 90% of the time...I believe the key is being very, very polite. Good luck!

WDB... I buy all my books off eBay and often gamble like you did. So of course I have gotten my share of duds. The good news is, I have had really good results when faced with a bad eBay purchase like this by emailing the seller and first praising him for something such as fast shipping, packaging, whatever. Then, politely state the problem with the book while making it very clear you believe it was an honest mistake on their part. Then offer them two options to make you happy....either return the book for a full refund including shipping, or you keep the book and they send you a partial refund. In this case, I'd ask for at least $50 back. This has worked for me about 90% of the time...I believe the key is being very, very polite. Good luck!

That is exactly how such business should be done.

Sent this to him last night...

Just got the book today and it is indeed a beautiful copy... Not

really a VF, but I was pleased. But, unfortunately, after closer

inspection I noticed that the original staples have been removed

and replaced. Although it was very nicely done, this is still

considered a form of restoration. I'm not going to neg you or

ask for a refund, but thought you should know.

No response yet.

Sent this to him last night...

Just got the book today and it is indeed a beautiful copy... Not

really a VF, but I was pleased. But, unfortunately, after closer

inspection I noticed that the original staples have been removed

and replaced. Although it was very nicely done, this is still

considered a form of restoration. I'm not going to neg you or

ask for a refund, but thought you should know.

No response yet.

Not sure why he shouldn't give you a refund?

Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif

Return the book. I recently bought a gorgeous ST#107 that was a solid 8.0 until I opend the centerfold and found two large yet hard to catch at first tears. Hated to retunr the book but I just couldn't justify the cost. Chances are the seller would rather make amends than risk a negative feedback, etc.