• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About Baseball Cards
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone. My only collecting interest currently is comic books, and I have virtually no knowledge about baseball cards.

I have a 1963 Fleer baseball card set, missing only the Joe Adcock card and the checklist. The pictures I have posted below are representative of the condition of all cards of the set.

BBC1.thumb.jpg.f97043b6acd87716a7c7987393099173.jpg     BBC2.thumb.jpg.0f487e7d0cdad1766023a4514ebf3205.jpg

BBC3.thumb.jpg.75c8e790d3b2f925cd6746886869322d.jpg     BBC4.thumb.jpg.2fe73a232c1979b089f0e2001cafa1f0.jpg

These are the HOF player cards that are in the set. I know centering and other information goes into the card's grade, but I don't know what effect it has on the card's grade.

So, here's my first question. Are any of the above cards worth getting graded?

Here's my second question. Could someone give me an approximate value for this set?

Lastly, I have the following factory sets:

1987 Topps opened box
1988 Topps unopened box
1989 Topps unopened box
1990 Topps unopened box
1991 Donruss opened box
1991 Topps opened box

I looked at Ebay, but 1) the prices are all over the map, and 2) I can't evaluate prices if I have no idea how to grade cards. Do any of these factory sets have any value?

This is the first time I have ventured into this forum. If these type of questions are considered inappropriate, I apologize. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

The sets you listed are incredibly common and while some people ask $15-$25 for them, you can often buy them for much less. 

The Fleer set I'm not too familiar with, but most collectors prefer the Topps set from that year. I don't see many complete sets for sale, but I'd guesstimate your set, minus those two cards is in the $300-$400 range. 

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

The sets you listed are incredibly common and while some people ask $15-$25 for them, you can often buy them for much less. 

The Fleer set I'm not too familiar with, but most collectors prefer the Topps set from that year. I don't see many complete sets for sale, but I'd guesstimate your set, minus those two cards is in the $300-$400 range. 

I appreciate this information, but this now leads me to another question. Where would be the best place to sell this set? I know that if I went to a dealer, I may be lucky to get $175. And I shudder to think what it would be like selling them on Ebay. I have had good luck selling TPBs on Ebay, but that is a single item for which you can easily provide pictures. If I was to try to sell this set on Ebay, I would imagine that I would have to provide scans of every card, lest an Ebayer returns the set, saying, "Card #18 is in significantly worse condition than the other cards. I want my money back."

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

1963 Fleer

For these, I would do some ebay searches for sold results for graded cards. That will give you a ball park idea of value and you can compare the condition of your cards with graded cards. Just because they are stars and/or HoFers doesn't necessarily mean they are worth grading. 

Edited by Jeffro.

2 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I appreciate this information, but this now leads me to another question. Where would be the best place to sell this set? I know that if I went to a dealer, I may be lucky to get $175. And I shudder to think what it would be like selling them on Ebay. I have had good luck selling TPBs on Ebay, but that is a single item for which you can easily provide pictures. If I was to try to sell this set on Ebay, I would imagine that I would have to provide scans of every card, lest an Ebayer returns the set, saying, "Card #18 is in significantly worse condition than the other cards. I want my money back."

Where do you live? Are there shops around you that cater to both comics and cards? I've had very good results from trading cards to a card dealer who had a bunch of comics sitting around. From experience, I can tell you many baseball card dealers run into comic collections and often just have them laying around. 

I'll offer you $200 for the set, maybe someone will offer you more. I could do better if you wanted to trade for comics. As I said, I see a bunch of lots of these cards but few complete sets.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:39 PM, shadroch said:

I'll offer you $200 for the set, maybe someone will offer you more. I could do better if you wanted to trade for comics. As I said, I see a bunch of lots of these cards but few complete sets.

I sold this set for $340 yesterday on Ebay, with a net of ~$300.