• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WT_ is this Children of the Atom

10 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, carter3175 said:

Omg, is the house of ideas dead.  I just don't get it.  

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/revealing-the-names-of-marvel-comics-children-of-the-atom/

This not as bad as the New Warriors they were going to put out but it's still stupid.  

LCS has a poster up for the last few months maybe and I was curious when I 1st saw it.  Once I looked it up though, hard pass.

Cherub..... Marvel Guy...... It is like Leifeld made these names up like Major X.

The only one that hits the nail on the head is Gimmick, which is what this books looks like.

2 hours ago, carter3175 said:

Omg, is the house of ideas dead.  I just don't get it.  

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/revealing-the-names-of-marvel-comics-children-of-the-atom/

This not as bad as the New Warriors they were going to put out but it's still stupid.  

Why are they just reimagined classic X-Men?

And why did Apocalypse turn the one in one of his four-horsemen. Shouldn't it have just been Angel?

I guess that referenced first appearance of the children is the one to get to hedge, in case they are popular. 

Stupid ideas are printed all the time, and then over time it becomes canon, nostalgia grows, and then it becomes classic. 

As rubbish as this sounds, it's one of those books that can go either way. It's got first appearances in and all it takes is for one of these characters to be used in TV or film and it'll rocket. Look at Strange Academy. People slept on that and it went nuts. Even New Agents of Atlas is going up based on rumors.

I'm gonna pick up two copies of the trade cover and worst case I give them away as freebies to eBay buyers or they rise and I make a profit. It's a £6 punt so it wont hurt to bad if it flops. As with everything in this game, it's all a gamble unless you buy what you love.

So there is a "secret" 1:5 variant they slipped in for this.  Which actually looks pretty decent of a cover.  As much as I am not a fan at this point, I might try for the reg and secret, only way I will pickup either is if I can get both.

Reg - 159338834_1950090258462426_8575076773824

Secret - 159215461_271738317860063_18615939611440

God that's terrible.  As a writer, how can you be proud of that?  Growing up, we'd always imagine our own heroes and villains but we always wanted to give them cool names.  Like I always thought Dreadnought would make for a cool darker/possessed Juggernaut.  Or Man-O-War for some other character.  Sure, they're not deep thoughtful names, but they stir up the child in me which first and foremost wanted a character to be cool.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:15 AM, Jitstark said:

As rubbish as this sounds, it's one of those books that can go either way. It's got first appearances in and all it takes is for one of these characters to be used in TV or film and it'll rocket. Look at Strange Academy. People slept on that and it went nuts. Even New Agents of Atlas is going up based on rumors.

I'm gonna pick up two copies of the trade cover and worst case I give them away as freebies to eBay buyers or they rise and I make a profit. It's a £6 punt so it wont hurt to bad if it flops. As with everything in this game, it's all a gamble unless you buy what you love.

It took a while to take off, but look at Young Avengers as a potential comparable.

Right now Marvel and DC are putting out a lot of youth through young adult targeted material that will be tied to other media channels (e.g. TV and film) eventually, so books like this are worth a spec copy or two just in case.

On 3/9/2021 at 12:13 PM, ExNihilo said:

God that's terrible.  As a writer, how can you be proud of that?  Growing up, we'd always imagine our own heroes and villains but we always wanted to give them cool names.  Like I always thought Dreadnought would make for a cool darker/possessed Juggernaut.  Or Man-O-War for some other character.  Sure, they're not deep thoughtful names, but they stir up the child in me which first and foremost wanted a character to be cool.

vita is one of those people that fails upwards. 

From a certain perspective, I can understand this. Let's say you want to write a story about Cyclops and Gambit, because they both have interesting and iconic powers that could lend themselves to novel storytelling. Those characters have decades of story behind them now, all of which you more or less need to keep track of. You wanted to write a story that required any naivete on the part of the characters -- like Gambit exploring exactly what his power does? No chance, sucker. And forget about telling that sort of thing in flashback, because now your story has to fit into the tightly-charted continuity without contradicting anything that came either before or after, and without making audiences wonder why we never heard about these events before!

I'm not saying that this Children of the Atom thing is a good idea. It's probably not. It might have been better with a couple expies of existing iconics alongside some truly new guys. I don't know. Maybe think of it as an alternative universe version of the familiar characters. A universe, um... locked away until now because it's dominated by the... unstoppable power of really stupid names.