• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Test your resto detection skills !!!

9 posts in this topic

Took some macro pictures... try to detect what was done to the book.

First one is easy... interior cover top corner

2. interior cover bottom staple area

pic1 try this first

pic2

pic3 check this if you still can't figure it out

3. interior cover top staple area

this one is tricky, but restorer made one mistake...

Amateur or professional resto and why?

First looks to be a tear-seal.

Second looks like the staple holes have been filled in with Japan paper or something that gives the married edge of the paper that coarse look. The book may have been water "float cleaned."

Very cool thread.

I was going to say amateur but it looks like there was some tape removal work done on the interior page which I don't think too many amateurs would try to take on? I want to say that some paper was added but it doesn't look uniform, maybe a small piece was added and the rest has been tear sealed.

Took some macro pictures... try to detect what was done to the book.

First one is easy... interior cover top corner

Filled in a missing spine corner. Amateur, because he did not match the replacement paper with the original.

Reinforced staples/filled in missing chunks with Japan paper. Amateur (even though archival materials were used), because he used way too much and left tidelines with the paste. The repair is obvious.

3. interior cover top staple area

this one is tricky, but restorer made one mistake...

More staple reinforcement. Still used too much paper and left tidelines from the paste by using too much paste. (I'd consider that two mistakes.) Also amateur, though using archival materials.

Server is down frustrated.gif I don't know what's going on, but it's just.temporary 893crossfingers-thumb.gif so wait till tomorrow...

I'll comment those pics when they are back online, but FFB pretty much told everything already.