• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are values now primarily driven by movie and show speculation?

34 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Still I saw the first Schwarzenegger movie when it came out, and found it severely lacking. Schwarzenegger was terrible, it looked cheap (the metal all looking like plastic) and cheesy, and had a skimpy, plodding story.

image.gif.d4f9218ffef88ff7429b545a64cbd501.gif

Blasphemy ! ... I  will agree with some of that though . I actually didn’t read the comics first so had more of a blank slate , the movie reeked of the 80’s but I was okay with that . It wasn’t until I got older I realized how much they drifted from original story ( and hairstyle ) . That being said - I’m a big Arnold fan so I can’t give an unbiased opinion . For what it’s worth , I think the sequel was very bad ...

Edited by Old_Man_Adam

3 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

image.gif.d4f9218ffef88ff7429b545a64cbd501.gif

Blasphemy ! ... I  will agree with some of that though . I actually didn’t read the comics first so had more of a blank slate , the movie reeked of the 80’s but I was okay with that . It wasn’t until I got older I realized how much they drifter from original story ( and hairstyle ) . That being said - I’m a big Arnold fan so I can’t give an unbiased opinion . For what it’s worth , I think the sequel was very bad ...

Same here. I was born in 78 so I saw the Arnold movies before I knew anything of Conan at all. Conan the Destroyer was much more of a summer blockbuster type of movie than what Milius went for in Barbarian, but I still like it for what it is.

I'm also a huge Arnold fan so I have a fondness for most of his work up until the late 90s. 

Schwarzenegger had star presence for sure, but he can't really act. He was best suited for roles like The Terminator which used his robotic delivery to great effect, or comedies, where he was an effective straight man. I could enjoy him in a well written action film like Predator, with more of an ensemble cast, but he came off as laughable in Conan. though maybe if I'd seen it for the first time at age 12, I'd have enjoyed it more.

17 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Personally I think FF1 will reach and possibly sustain similar value to AF15, but only time will tell on that. 

I doubt it.  Spider-Man is THE face of Marvel and thus there is a greater demand for AF15 than there is FF1.  And the first rule of economics is about scarcity, supply, and demand.

18 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Good data! As far as life returning to normalcy, I think that's a number of years away. With the Fantastic Four and the X-men still coming I think those are going to continue to increase to temporary unrealistic amounts.  Personally I think FF1 will reach and possibly sustain similar value to AF15, but only time will tell on that. 

FF1 will never be as popular as AF15/ASM period. The characters are Meh compared to Spider-Man. 

1 minute ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

FF1 will never be as popular as AF15/ASM period. The characters are Meh compared to Spider-Man. 

This is how I personally feel, but I just don't know if that's a widespread feeling. Although a couple have added that sentiment here. To me the inclusion of Dr Doom and the Silver Surfer are a much bigger deal. So maybe the FF are riding those coat tails. 

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I love Spidey, but if the FF are done right....the family dynamics are much more interesting.  15 years ago FF 1 and AF 15 were almost at par price wise.  I can see FF 1 eventually catching up again.  

2 hours ago, serling1978 said:

This is how I personally feel, but I just don't know if that's a widespread feeling. Although a couple have added that sentiment here. To me the inclusion of Dr Doom and the Silver Surfer are a much bigger deal. So maybe the FF are riding those coat tails. 

There is no Silver Surfer & Galactus without the FF.(shrug)

29 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I love Spidey, but if the FF are done right....the family dynamics are much more interesting.  15 years ago FF 1 and AF 15 were almost at par price wise.  I can see FF 1 eventually catching up again.  

That's what I was thinking too. The history of FF, being the first marvel heroes, will always carry weight. AF15 took off like crazy once spidey joined the MCU, so it seems plausible that could also result in FF 1 catching back up in value. 

26 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

That's what I was thinking too. The history of FF, being the first marvel heroes, will always carry weight. AF15 took off like crazy once spidey joined the MCU, so it seems plausible that could also result in FF 1 catching back up in value. 

That’s just it — FF1 is the beginning and that can’t be taken away. Sure, chronologically, Showcase 4 kicks off the Silver Age but the real flowering of new and different (eg - birth of Marvel Silver Age) is FF1. That will always matter to many and keep it a big key. Of course, AF 15 brings us the big gun of the Silver Age. The loose golden age analogy would be AF15 as Tec 27 and FF1 as Action 1. Upon close inspection the analogy breaks down; a big difference being Action 1 has a “first ever” status tied to it and FF1 has “birth of a new era” as its stake in the ground. 

A slightly better analogy might be Timely to Marvel, and Marvel Comics 1 and Cap 1 as compared to FF1 and AF15 — old-timers and dyed in the wool golden age guys love to debate which is the bigger Timely key. (Whereas most seem to intuit that Bats is more popular than Supes for a long time now but it hardly leads to the same frequency of discussion about Tec 27 eclipsing Action 1.)

My long-winded way of saying it’s no surprise that AF15 eclipsed FF1 value-wise in the long run to date, but FF1 still has upside (and a floor under it that no other Marvel key can have). My 2c

30 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I think you need an “again” in there, as in “never again.” But it has been a loooong time. 

Just take Halloween for example, no one wants to be any of the Fantastic Four, but ask a kid about Spider-Man, of course they will say I would be Spider-Man.

Heck, me and my sons dress up as him every other year. 

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I don't know, still far off. Even as a collector, I would choose the same grade AF15 over an FF1 any day.