• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Damage - how does it affect price?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have a real noob question.. How does minor water damage on inside and back cover lower the grade and better yet can it be CNP out.  

Below is an example.

If the book without this issue was 8.0, how much would this drop it?  Full Grade?  More?

I am still learning this after a 30 year return.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 7.45.59 PM.png

Hard to say without seeing the entire book. Water damage is a killer because it can have an impact on multiple pages and really drag the grade down.  

I would post pics of the book in the Spare a grade area. Post front and back cover picks and point out the water damage. 

They'll give you an idea. 

1 hour ago, SellinMyCollection said:

I have a real noob question.. How does minor water damage on inside and back cover lower the grade and better yet can it be CNP out.  

Below is an example.

If the book without this issue was 8.0, how much would this drop it?  Full Grade?  More?

Seeing the entire book would help, but from what I can see it's a serious flaw which could substantially lower the grade...

Thanks for the quick feedback.  I suspected AND expected as much.  I am looking at a few auctions with "some" water damage which I did NOT like.  

You have verified my thoughts and I THANK you very much for verifying my assumptions!!

Nothing but love here!

!SellingMyCollection

11 hours ago, SellinMyCollection said:

Below is an example.

Water damage like this is acceptable in the 4.0 range. So if your comic would be 9.0, 8.0 or 6.0 it will end up being 4.0 due to this kind of water damage. A comic that is 4.0 (so like a comic with a subscription crease) will remain 4.0.

I think an otherwise 4.0 but with added stain would drop it to a 3.5.  That's a pretty big stain and not just a small corner.  Often satins can lead also have rusty staples or smells.  Assuming neither here, then no big deal.  

Problem with stains is its a bit like rusty staples or tape or tanning pages or detached centerfold.  Some people (like me) simply won't buy a book with certain flaws.  I give leeway to detached centerfolds, tanning pages, or slightly rusty staples, but can't stand books in my collection with tape or stains.  In other words, I subjectively discount the grade more than other collectors.