• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foxing or stains?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I assumed staining, but not sure. There is a section that is totally clear.

Also curious how this would impact overall grade, assuming the rest of the book was in the 4.5-5.0 range before taking the back into account?

Listing Image

20 minutes ago, Slyde said:

Also curious how this would impact overall grade, assuming the rest of the book was in the 4.5-5.0 range before taking the back into account?

Listing Image

It's staining since we see where the stain originates and the spread. Foxing wouldn't have darker central spots like that. And regardless of the grade it would be, this would become the biggest defect and take the comic down to wherever this kind of staining would be acceptable. I would say the book could land anywhere between the 2.0-3.0 range.

I am not an expert on this subject by any means and cannot make a judgment on this just be seeing the back cover.

From all of the pics I have seen that appears to be foxing which is brown and spreads across the entire area, mold may be darker and usually starts on the outer edges and spine, if it is mold it will spread if not contained.

Does the book have a smell to it?

Is there any signs of moisture/water damage? (Rusted staples, waviness/wrinkles on the cover/pages. water stains on the interior pages)

What do the interior pages and inside cover look like?

Is any of it spreading to the front cover by the edges/spine?

https://www.abaa.org/glossary/entry/foxing

This is an illustration of mold...

Tales Of Suspense 61   GD-VG3.0.JPG

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

I am not an expert on this subject by any means and cannot make a judgment on this just be seeing the back cover.

From all of the pics I have seen that appears to be foxing which is brown and spreads across the entire area, mold may be darker and usually starts on the outer edges and spine, if it is mold it will spread if not contained.

Does the book have a smell to it?

Is there any signs of moisture/water damage? (Rusted staples, waviness/wrinkles on the cover/pages. water stains on the interior pages)

What do the interior pages and inside cover look like?

Is any of it spreading to the front cover by the edges/spine?

https://www.abaa.org/glossary/entry/foxing

This is an illustration of mold...

Tales Of Suspense 61   GD-VG3.0.JPG

From what I can see in pictures, I don't see any other signs of moisture damage. The front cover has no staining. Here is a pic of the inside of the back cover:

Listing Image

Again, I am no expert...

The part that has me baffled is what type of stain would that be that did bleed through the rear cover but did not bleed through to the back page?

FOXING

"This is an antiquing term. Foxing, basically, is a reddish-brown stain that can form on old paper. Most collectors agree it’s mold, and the term “foxing” comes from the color. There’s another theory that foxing is caused by the oxidation of iron or copper in the makeup of the pages. It’s also believed that humidity can contribute to foxing, whether it’s oxidation or mold."

EXAMPLES OF FOXING

Clubb_Journal.png

1200px-Comstock_1832_title_page.jpg

Edited by marvelmaniac

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

"This is an antiquing term. Foxing, basically, is a reddish-brown stain that can form on old paper. Most collectors agree it’s mold, and the term “foxing” comes from the color. There’s another theory that foxing is caused by the oxidation of iron or copper in the makeup of the pages. It’s also believed that humidity can contribute to foxing, whether it’s oxidation or mold."

As of circa 2010, scientific research on the topic has mostly settled on the idea that foxing is microbial-mediated cellulose oxidation, with a half-dozen or so type of fungi implicated as potential biological catalysts, as well as a couple of bacteria species. Foxing discoloration appears to result from a somewhat different chemical process than normal "mold" pigmentation, and it's probably less destructive to paper integrity. But it's still not a good thing to have happen to your book. In the interests of accuracy, oxidation of metal content in the paper is an alternative cause of foxing, but only in some fairly specific paper types; that's not where comic book foxing comes from.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:28 AM, Slyde said:

Listing Image

This actually reminds me of how coffee grounds look when splattered onto a surface...     hm

4 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Again, I am no expert...

The part that has me baffled is what type of stain would that be that did bleed through the rear cover but did not bleed through to the back page?

FOXING

EXAMPLES OF FOXING

Clubb_Journal.png

1200px-Comstock_1832_title_page.jpg

So this is not foxing?

file-20190129-42594-1d5k3pr.jpg