• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question of the Day

69 posts in this topic

At least Im not a phoney, pompous wind-bag like TLC, whom has continually attacked me,..left,..and right. He is worthless in my book. And Puhhhleeze,..there is no 'morality',..it is a fiction of man. Hasn't anyone read 'Beyond Good & Evil' ? ...or am I the only well-read one here ?

Why the ad-hominem attacks guys? Can we just be pleasant and enjoy our great hobby?

A guy goes to a garage sale, notices 3 pieces of OA and buys them for peanuts. Puts them up for sale on the internet.

Gets an email from the owner/artist stating they were stolen from him.

What would you do?

Id tell him to sue me if he thinks he has a claim. Lets see if he wants to go there,..most people do not. In the event his case looks strong (highly doubtful) I would 'dump' the page before he could obtain any remedy against the art. However, if his case looked weak,,...Id defend on the merits.

Ya wont beat me with these facts. EVER.

KK

Let me go a little further.

The OA was all Warlock pieces by Jim Starlin. Jim emails you and tells you they were stolen from him.

again

What do you do now?

Id tell him that the art is in my possesion and I am a bonafide purchaser who paid fair value (verbally,..I would never let any record exist that I possess the art),...Id ask him whather he filed a police claim or initiated any action to 'put the world on notice' that the piece had in fact been stolen ? These facts would be useful in determining whether to hold the piece and fight it out,..or dump it on the market at a show.

Somehow I had a hunch this would be your answer.

What if I told you that the person that bought the OA from the garage sale, had no idea it was stolen and tells Jim he will be more than happy to return it him?

To go even further, Jim emails the guy back and tells him how much he appreciates what he is willing to do and tells him to just keep them.

Now this scenario according to my LCS buddy has happened in reality. The person ended up making some very good money.

Moral of the story:

Nice guys dont always finish last.

Once a , always a .

What if I told you that the person that bought the OA from the garage sale, had no idea it was stolen and tells Jim he will be more than happy to return it him?

To go even further, Jim emails the guy back and tells him how much he appreciates what he is willing to do and tells him to just keep them.

Now this scenario according to my LCS buddy has happened in reality. The person ended up making some very good money.

Moral of the story:

Once a , always a

I dunno, I used to be pretty bad!

Moral of the story:

Once a , always a .

Actually,..Id define a as someone who asks someone's opinion & approach to a given situation and than acts like a self-righteous by proclaiming his way of handling the situation was moral to the very person whose advice he solicited in the first place. But I tend to see through the charade of alotta you phoney jokers here.

KK

Id tell him to sue me if he thinks he has a claim. Lets see if he wants to go there,..most people do not. In the event his case looks strong (highly doubtful) I would 'dump' the page before he could obtain any remedy against the art. However, if his case looked weak,,...Id defend on the merits.

KK

What about your reputation?

KK:

You know, if they sue for a specific piece of art that you own -- they could block you from "dumping" the art because the court can take possession until the dispute is resolved. It's done many times when there's a legitimate dispute over ownership of property.

Id tell him that the art is in my possesion and I am a bonafide purchaser who paid fair value (verbally,..I would never let any record exist that I possess the art),...Id ask him whather he filed a police claim or initiated any action to 'put the world on notice' that the piece had in fact been stolen ? These facts would be useful in determining whether to hold the piece and fight it out,..or dump it on the market at a show.

Being a BFP doesn't matter. If the seller tortiously converted the piece from the original owner, he never had title to transfer. Paying fair value in good faith is irrelevant and the original owner would prevail, provided the statute of limitations hasn't run.

Being a BFP doesn't matter. If the seller tortiously converted the piece from the original owner, he never had title to transfer. Paying fair value in good faith is irrelevant and the original owner would prevail, provided the statute of limitations hasn't run.

Well, clearly KK has spent some money getting legal advice on this issue. I wonder why he would have to do that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you found a high grade Action #1 at a garage sale and had the opportunity to purchase it for $5.00, what would you do? Personally, I'd pay the $5.00, have it CGC graded and sell it.

Unless the sellers at the garage sale seemed to be very wealthy, I'd make sure they received a sizeable amount. What do I mean by sizeable? Well, if the book sold for $250,000, I'd probably give them $50,000. I'd give them this money anonymously.

I don't consider paying the full price of what someone is asking for an item to be unethical. I do consider it unethical to offer someone 1% of the true market value of an item to end an open auction early though.

Just my 2 cents.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

Okay, Booksamillion gets their DC Comics about a week after they hit the comic stores. So, I go in last night to buy a couple copies of Wonder Woman 220 because I know that its selling for around $12 at my local comic shop and I can get $7 for each copy I bring them. It would be totally stupid for me to take the comic to the shop, sell it and then take a check back to Booksamillion and say, "Here, I thought you deserved this for selling me a comic cheap that I made money on." Yeah, right. That's about the dumbest thing I've read.

I found an Iron Fist 14 in a 3-for-a-dollar box at a show. I told the dealer and he said "I must have left it in there when I unloaded my stuff. Oh well, it's in there, so you can have it for that."

And I don't believe for one minute that if you found an Action Comics 1 for $5 and sold it for $250,000 you'd give the previous owner $50,000.

KK

I totally agree with KK on this one. If the artist didn't file a police report or have some proof that the art WAS STOLEN way back when it was stolen, then I'd say it sucks to be him. I know what three pieces of art you're talking about. I see one on comicartfans.com all the time.

I believe I read a story once about a guy owning a Neal Adams X-Men cover or page and Neal saw him at a show and said the piece was stolen, so the guy gave it back to him and regretted it later because what he got in return was peanuts.

If an artist has some art stolen and doesn't file a police report and it turns up years later in a garage sale, then I'd say it sucks to be the artist and yay for me.

If you found a high grade Action #1 at a garage sale and had the opportunity to purchase it for $5.00, what would you do? Personally, I'd pay the $5.00, have it CGC graded and sell it.

Unless the sellers at the garage sale seemed to be very wealthy, I'd make sure they received a sizeable amount. What do I mean by sizeable? Well, if the book sold for $250,000, I'd probably give them $50,000. I'd give them this money anonymously.

I don't consider paying the full price of what someone is asking for an item to be unethical. I do consider it unethical to offer someone 1% of the true market value of an item to end an open auction early though.

Just my 2 cents.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

And I don't believe for one minute that if you found an Action Comics 1 for $5 and sold it for $250,000 you'd give the previous owner $50,000.

This was a carryover from another thread and I thought that it would be interesting to see what other board members would do in this situation. If it doesn't tweak your obviously superior intellect, then don't post.

Oh, regarding the $50,000, I wasn't asking if you believed what I wrote or not. What you think about what I'd do or not do doesn't concern me in the least.

KK

What about your reputation?

that and a $1.50 wont even get me on the subway system in NY ?

KK:

You know, if they sue for a specific piece of art that you own -- they could block you from "dumping" the art because the court can take possession until the dispute is resolved. It's done many times when there's a legitimate dispute over ownership of property.

It would be too late,..Id appear before the court and tell the judge the piece was sold before I heard any inference of theft. Ta-da !