• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purple Restored vs. Blue Apparent?

80 posts in this topic

It looks like CGC is not only getting rid of the PLOD and replacing it with a Blue label, but also deleting the word RESTORED from the label and replacing it with "Apparent". I guess the dealers feel that "Restored" is such a dirty word and wanted it replaced with something ambiguous to fool the rubes.

If this stupidity turns out to be true, this move is just looking worse and worse as time goes by, and the odds it's a dealer-run initiative have moved to 1-1.

It looks like CGC is not only getting rid of the PLOD and replacing it with a Blue label, but also deleting the word RESTORED from the label and replacing it with "Apparent". I guess the dealers feel that "Restored" is such a dirty word and wanted it replaced with something ambiguous to fool the rubes.

If this stupidity turns out to be true, this move is just looking worse and worse as time goes by, and the odds it's a dealer-run initiative have moved to 1-1.

Not quite sure what negative things will come of this move, JC. The overwhelming majority of collectors will be able to distinguish the difference between the Apparent and Unrestored designations, so I expect very few incidences of misguided buying. Moreover, it is about time that conservation forms of restoration that will increase the lifetime of endangered books are distinguished from forms of restoration that are primarily meant to deceive. After all, in other antique collectible markets conservation has a valued role, and many collectors feel it could have one in comics, too.

So what are the negatives?

it's just a new way to distinguish pristine - not necessarily high grade but rather in terms of work being done - books from ones that have had some work done on them. instead of a bright Purple or Green label, it will be Blue with two sets of numbers, and a lot of information that could have just as easily been put on the Purple and Green labels in the first place, and probably SHOULD have been there to begin with.

my opinion is that it will marginally increase prices for a tiny fraction of books that would have gotten PLODs and GLODs, but the vast majority will still be viewed by the buying public as 'undesirable,' and will ultimately have no effect

my opinion is that it will marginally increase prices for a tiny fraction of books that would have gotten PLODs and GLODs, but the vast majority will still be viewed by the buying public as 'undesirable,' and will ultimately have no effect

It will increase resubmissions. thumbsup2.gif

I haven't seen the label yet, but if this is true, then I am with you on this one. The label needs to say "restored" if the book is restored.

I haven't seen the label yet, but if this is true, then I am with you on this one. The label needs to say "restored" if the book is restored.

Ditto

They should have changed the color of the label to something new for all of the books and then put on the label. Apparent - Restored,,,,(for those that ARE restoring it) and Apparent - Conservation. And then as usual list what has been done to the book.

I hate to agree but also agree. I want to see both Restored for the tier and Apparant in the grade.

That's what we are working towards. Grade and level of restoration or conservation right on the label in the same place.

So the label will read "CGC RESTORED GRADE" in BIG LETTERS on the label?

I want to be sure you're agreeing to the right thing, as that's not what you said in a previous thread.

At that time it was "CGC APPARENT GRADE" on the label. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's what we are working towards. Grade and level of restoration or conservation right on the label in the same place.

So the label will read "CGC RESTORED GRADE" in BIG LETTERS on the label?

I want to be sure you're agreeing to the right thing, as that's not what you said in a previous thread.

At that time it was "CGC APPARENT GRADE" on the label. confused-smiley-013.gif

The top of the label will read CGC APPARANT GRADE and over the numerical grade it will state RESTORED or CONSERVED and under the numerical grade it will state P LEVEL 8. The P will stand for professional and the level will note how much work was done and the appearance of the work done. The work done to the book will still be noted on the label in the same space it always has, you will just have more information.

Nothing is set in stone. A info packet of the changes we would like to make are going out to dealers and collectors (including some forum members) to get input before we implement any changes. So, keep talking among yourselves (I like the input of your opinions) and when the info packet shows up, I am sure someone will post the stuff, and you will have all the info on the proposed changes.

So a restored comic that you determine is CONSERVED will not have the word "RESTORED" anywhere on the label?

If so, don't you think that's kind of whacked?

Absolutely not, there needs to be a difference between conservation and restoration. An informed hobbyist is much better off. I would much rather have a spine split sealed with archivaly safe glue to stop the deterioration of the spine than, as the overstreet guide allows, putting tape on it which will break down the comic. Color touch is not preservation, it is restoration and does not help the book at all. I wrote an article in the Overstreet guide about this about 5 years ago. I would hope that our hobby would want to move towards preservation and away from restoration and tape.

Ultimately, there is more information available on the label and I like that. The buyer may have to open his mouth and ask a few questions, but hopefully CGC will list a guide to the new grading system on their website.

Absolutely not, there needs to be a difference between conservation and restoration.

My problem is that CGC is now saying that Conservation does not involve Restoration, when it really does.

Books are restored by comic book restorers, and you are really trying to change 50+ years of history by totally deleting any reference to "RESTORED" on books that have clearly had restoration work done.

"No, no, no, this book is clearly NOT restored and has never had any restoration," exclaims Big Wig Comic Dealer to newbie speculator, "it is CONSERVED. Just look at the label".

It makes me wonder what other illicit schemes the CGC "Star Chamber" of dealers has cooked up for the next 5 years. 893whatthe.gif

Conservation does not involve restoration? I would like to see them pull that one off!

Apparently they already have. A book that is deemed "conserved" will have an APPARENT label and a CONSERVED notation, with all of the previous references to RESTORED totally deleted.

Ultimately, there is more information available on the label and I like that.

Me too, but it has absolutely nothing to do with this debate. CGC could have kept the PLOD and added the new label info without any trouble at all.