• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purple Restored vs. Blue Apparent?

80 posts in this topic

In fact, there are few restored book sales in the first - out of the 330,000+ sales we have in our database, a total of 4233 are restored representing approx $3.5M in value, which equates to just over 4% of the market.

But that is the *real* reason this is being done.

Lots of dealers have not wanted to submit their hoards of restored books under the PLOD scenario, and CGC has not seen the revenues it imagined from the raw resto population, so they colluded to change it to a more "newbie spec friendly" format.

Both sides get what they want, and the customer gets screwed... as usual.

I'm not sure how customers get "screwed" - are you suggesting that collectors who regulalry buy (even a few) CGC books wont know what they are looking at if the blue label indicates restoration? I agree that unless the label is quite obvious (and I have no reason to believe it wont be) there could be confusion. But if a seller wants to scam a totally uneducated buyer, they can do that now with even a purple label.

In fact, there are few restored book sales in the first - out of the 330,000+ sales we have in our database, a total of 4233 are restored representing approx $3.5M in value, which equates to just over 4% of the market.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those numbers would change drastically in the golden age arena where this new grading system would have the most dramatic effect.Just for example[superman #1]

An overwhelmingly restored book,just to bring up an example.

I'm not sure how customers get "screwed"

Do the math. Using your numbers, unrestored CGC books make up 96% of the market, and now CGC is changing the ground rules and making it more difficult for the 96% of buyers to find, peruse and buy Universal Blue Label slabs, all in order to satisfy dealers of the 4% restored market.

But if a seller wants to scam a totally uneducated buyer, they can do that now with even a purple label.

And even easier with a blue label.

Not to mention looking innocent while doing so.

"I posted the CGC label, it's your fault you didn't ask questions" retorted Big Hass Resto Dealer #86 after scamming another newbie with a mini-scan of a Blue Label Franken-Book.

But if a seller wants to scam a totally uneducated buyer, they can do that now with even a purple label.

"I posted the CGC label, it's your fault you didn't ask questions" retorted Big Hass Resto Dealer #86 after scamming another newbie with a mini-scan of a Blue Label Franken-Book.

You can correct me if I'm wrong (as I don't get the time to read the posts here as often as I would like) but are you making an assumption about this purely on the fact that it will be a "blue" label. That is, you haven't seen the label yet, right? As I originally stated, I agree that even if blue the label should have a way of being distinguished from non-restored books.

The example you give above takes into account a tiny number of sales. Most books get sold with reasonable scans or disclosure of label info, serial number, etc.

Will CGC make public a list of things they consider conservation and things they consider restoration?

CGC will list our conservation and restoration scale (levels) and an explanation of it on our website when it is finalized and after we get the feedback from the collecting community.

thumbsup2.gif Are you guys also going to run the explanations in print like in CBG?

Yes, it will be in this years Overstreet annual, the CBG, Wizard and also some websites have already agreed that if we do make these and other changes, it will be posted on them or at least they will have a link to our "explanation" (for lack of better term) page.

Will you also be listing your grading standards, just as Overstreet does? popcorn.gif

In that 4 percent of the intire market is probably 25 percent of the goldenage market? What percent of the cgc golden age market is restored if i may respectfully ask?

Total Golden: 28,606 books at a value of $29,872,000

Total Golden Restored: 1,625 books at a value of $2,372,474

In that 4 percent of the intire market is probably 25 percent of the goldenage market? What percent of the cgc golden age market is restored if i may respectfully ask?

Also, only 694 sales of these restored GA books actually took place on eBay, which represents just under $0.8M in sales

thank you for your reply. its hard to believe that only 6 percent of the golden age population is restored but figures are figures.i would think the percentage is alot higher with the key golden age books.

I have taken Golden Age as 1939-1952 as we consider Atomic between Golden and Silver as 1953-1955 - would you like me to rerun on a different year range for Golden Age?

conservation has not worked in the baseball card market[sales wise] .comics are at least closer related to this market[paper collectible] as opposed to the automobile market you were using to support the conservation issue.i think what will happen with the new rules is closer to what happened with baseball cards and restoration as opposed to what happens to restored automobiles.

Do you have information on the percentage of golden age KEY books that are restored.I would think the figures would be much higher.

I'm sorry I had to leave for a couple of hours - I'll get one of the guys to run something a bit more detailed and I'll report back here.

Do you have information on the percentage of golden age KEY books that are restored.I would think the figures would be much higher.

Actually, if you give me an idea on which key books (Action #1, etc) you wish us to look at then we can analyze restore/unrestored numbers/values.

Actually, if you give me an idea on which key books (Action #1, etc) you wish us to look at then we can analyze restore/unrestored numbers/values.

hail.gif

Vince...you know my stand on the rights of the buyer.......but in this case.....if the information about the book is easily available, (on the label) then the buyer has some responsibility to educate him or her self before laying down significant amounts of $$$ for a collectible.

If CGC makes this info available on their website, and in OS, and other places....then I'm not concerned. If unscrupulous sellers want to muddy the distinctions in their ebay sales, then we'll just have to rat the bums out like we do now.