• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who will be first?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

A grading firm will eventually appraise vintage Dungeons and Dragons modules, early supplements and maybe even box sets. 

Grading these items would be a multiple in cost compared to a card, but the slabbing and grading would be worth it.

The current increased revenue may translate more RnD investment and whoever is first will have a significant advantage. I hope it is CGC.

On a side note, DA Card world took a while to begin buying all DnD items. I have no earthly idea how this is done without grading. A meta appraisal system can be more efficiently applied than a micro assessment. Staple rust, loose pages, staining, browning, creases, tears, fading, completeness and authenticity can be summed into a score, but individual preferences make this challenging without an unbiased arbiter.

Some have been awaiting this service for years. More for a short while. Enough are waiting now.

Edited by Doj

1 minute ago, thunsicker said:

Mine has a gelatinous hyper-cube.

mail.gif
that's them tesseracts.

3 hours ago, Doj said:

A grading firm will eventually appraise vintage Dungeons and Dragons modules, early supplements and maybe even box sets. 

Grading these items would be a multiple in cost compared to a card, but the slabbing and grading would be worth it.

The current increased revenue may translate more RnD investment and whoever is first will have a significant advantage. I hope it is CGC.

On a side note, DA Card world took a while to begin buying all DnD items. I have no earthly idea how this is done without grading. A meta appraisal system can be more efficiently applied than a micro assessment. Staple rust, loose pages, staining, browning, creases, tears, fading, completeness and authenticity can be summed into a score, but individual preferences make this challenging without an unbiased arbiter.

Some have been awaiting this service for years. More for a short while. Enough are waiting now.

I hope you are right, I have pretty much every Gamma World product sealed.

While I think it would be a good idea to do this it wouldn't be simple.  You would need all kinds of sizes for modules, box sets, books, etc.  It isn't as simple as comics or cards.  Plus is there a standardized grading scale/system for this stuff right now?  Or would they need to create it from whole cloth?

1 hour ago, WernerVonDoom said:

I hope you are right, I have pretty much every Gamma World product sealed.

Gamma is awesome. :) Lizard logo first print box set is crazy rare.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

While I think it would be a good idea to do this it wouldn't be simple.  You would need all kinds of sizes for modules, box sets, books, etc.  It isn't as simple as comics or cards.  Plus is there a standardized grading scale/system for this stuff right now?  Or would they need to create it from whole cloth?

A game with like 100 pieces and cards and stuff-grading would be time consuming and costly.  The slabs would be also fairly expensive I imagine.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

I believe it would be very similar to comic book grading and less challenging than magazine grading. Of course, I am largely making that up as I have never done it. :)

1 minute ago, kav said:

A game with like 100 pieces and cards and stuff-grading would be time consuming and costly.  The slabs would be also fairly expensive I imagine.

95% of the box sets are made of up booklets.

Just now, Doj said:

95% of the box sets are made of up booklets.

well if they got ochre jelly all over em thats gonna affect the grade.