• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration vs. Conservation - CGC Makes the Call!!

12 posts in this topic

From what I can glean from the overly-complicated methodology in the new Blue label for restored books, the scenario will totally do away with RESTORED as a grading tier and instead refer to these restored books as:

CGC APPARENT GRADE.

That bothers me, but even moreso is the notion that CGC will attempt to separate books into Conserved and Restored status.

How?

If I take a F+ SA key with a 4-inch rip and have Susan seal it up, then sell it for 3X what I paid, and another guy does the same, but not for monetary reward, how is CGC going to know the difference? Both of those books comes in for grading, one restored for profit and the other for conservation...

Are they going to employ Kreskin and have him mind-meld with the original owner?

And at the end of the day, whether the intent was to conserve or to make the book more presentable for resale, ALL of these books are still RESTORED.

Conservation is intent, while Restoration is the actual process, and if CGC attempts to pawn off a seriously restored book as CONSERVED with no mention of RESTORED on the label, then I do not see the collecting community being too happy with this flim-flam act.

I don't care about INTENT.

That argument holds no water, if something is restored or not (and you are by no means the only person to use Intent).

If I have a corner bend and push it back with my finger, the intent was to make the book look better, therefore it's RESTORED.

If I have a corner bend but slide the book into a mylar, pushing the bend back without any intent of that happening the book isn't RESTORED.

Same result. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Regarding Conservation versus Restoration, the difference is that the conservation was performed to help the book from incurring additional damage. Is it still restored? Yes and should not be worth as much as a book that didn't have the work done.

But most conservation work does not necessarily improve the books appearance. Even a tear seal will still show the tear, but prevent it from getting worse. That tear should still be factored into the grade IMO, thereby confirming that the book would not sell for as much as a copy without that defect.

i think, from Steve's post in your other thread, that "conserved" means "actions designed to prevent further detioration of the book" and "restored" means "actions designed to enhance the look of the book."

one would be structural, the other cosmetic

i think, from Steve's post in your other thread, that "conserved" means "actions designed to prevent further detioration of the book" and "restored" means "actions designed to enhance the look of the book."

So you agree that books that are "conserved" have had absolutely no restoration work done to them?

So you agree that books that are "conserved" have had absolutely no restoration work done to them?

i think it's a semantical game at this point.

i think it's a semantical game at this point.

Exactly. The problem with that question is that the terms aren't defined. If you go by the definitions used by real, practicing paper conservators, "conservation" and "restoration" are two different concepts. But if you go by the definition of "restoration" that comic collectors have had shoved down their throats by CGC for the last five years because of the purple label, it's all "restoration" even if it's also "conservation."

In my mind, sealing up a tear whether to sell the book or hold it constitutes conservation.

Adding color touch is restoring.

This is almost like the last Grading contest, the rules keep changing (only joking CS and Bella) At least we knew the rules in the contest, we still don't know all/or any of the CGC grading rules.

In my mind, sealing up a tear whether to sell the book or hold it constitutes conservation.

Agreed. Here's a good example. I have an ASM1 with a triangular piece on the back cover that, if handled improperly, will come off -- it's only holding on by a/b 1/4". I don't want it to come off so I had it sealed. That, in my book, is conservation.

On the flip side, I have a really nice copy of Cap #59 (Qualified VF-) that was missing the bottom right corner (1"). That drove me nuts so I had Matt Nelson put a new corner on it (and do a few other minor things). Now it's a AP VF/NM. That's restoration.

Agreed. Here's a good example. I have an ASM1 with a triangular piece on the back cover that, if handled improperly, will come off -- it's only holding on by a/b 1/4". I don't want it to come off so I had it sealed. That, in my book, is conservation.

On the flip side, I have a really nice copy of Cap #59 (Qualified VF-) that was missing the bottom right corner (1"). That drove me nuts so I had Matt Nelson put a new corner on it (and do a few other minor things). Now it's a AP VF/NM. That's restoration.

That's pretty much how professional paper conservators look at it too.