• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Book - Waviness on cover

5 posts in this topic

My LCS, like many, sells new books that aren't bagged/boarded.  When I picked up yesterday's new releases, all three copies had a "wavy" front/back cover.  The interior pages are fine; however, the covers are obviously not mint.  They're not even close...and I picked the best of the bunch for each issue.

A few questions:

• What grade would an otherwise mint book receive for a minor to moderate case of "waviness" on the front/back cover?
  • Is there a way to address this defect without paying for a press?
  • Will the cover retain memory of the defect that will come back over time?

Somewhat related question - what is the typical manner in which it would be best to ask the LCS to bag/board near mint copies for me on NCBD?  I don't want to come across as a tyrannical customer; however, I also don't want to spend good money on damaged "brand new" books.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  I appreciate it.  Have a wonderful day.

New comics can look like that...it’s not necessarily from improper handling.  It would be from the production.  Barring any actual defects, like color breaking spine tics, this would be acceptable to CGC for high grades...9.8.  Pressing always helps too, for peace of mind. (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Galen130 said:

New comics can look like that...it’s not necessarily from improper handling.  It would be from the production.  Barring any actual defects, like color breaking spine tics, this would be acceptable to CGC for high grades...9.8.  Pressing always helps too, for peace of mind. (thumbsu

Most of my collecting experience has been in the world of sports cards.  I'm still adjusting to the differences in grading standards.