• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Gi Joe 24
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Good Morning all,

I  bought some old distributor inventory several years ago. In it were super random books in bulk but a few bundles were in my wheel house. Mostly GI Joe. I bought several issues still banded together so they had never been touched as I cut the bands (I think it was 50 per band but honestly do not recall) myself. They only had one band around them so I never even paid attention to the top edge. The top couple copies and bottom copies have band impressions on the spines but the middle copies were mint. I was getting some ready to go to CGC and noticed what looked like a bindery tear at the top of close to 45 copies. What would these grade at? And is this considered a factory flaw? The top copy pretty much represents the condition of that stack and the pic of the three out of bags shows the varying degrees of damage up top.

Not a huge deal as these books were not worth anything until about two weeks ago but if I do not grade them and decide to grade them I was curious if this is factory and limited or do they take the hit as if they were torn.

So what would you guys consider the top copy? Scan included of a copy with the tear.

joe 24 scan.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6273.jpg

21 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

I think these books would still grade minimum 9.2 or better given the minor extent of the tears..appears to be 1/4 inch or less on most copies? more than an inch and they may creep into the vf/vf+ range

True, most were less than 1/8, these three were easiest to show the damage. I may have been hoping for 100 9.8's. 

I actually decided to send in 5 of them last year. Grades just posted, see below. I can't say this exact book went but one of them was definitely from the small tear stack. Assume it was one or two of the 9.6's.

Line Item: 001
Comic Description: G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero 24 6/84 Marvel Comics
Category: Modern
Grade: 9.8 WHITE
Line Item: 003
Grade: 9.6 WHITE
Line Item: 004
Grade: 9.6 WHITE
Line Item: 005
Grade: 9.8 WHITE
Edited by PKJ

And back in hand. I really don't see anything pulling the other 3 into 9.6's at all and no notes so it is what it is. I am a sucker for Zartan and vividly remember the commercial for this book as a kid. Need a couple more Covers then can update the display.

GI JOE 24.jpg

Zartans.JPG

On 3/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

What happened 2 weeks before you posted this in April of 2021.......to make value of books change ?

Was more of a joke, that was about when all comics were going nuts, but several Joe comics like this one was hitting $500 out of no where.