• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insatiable Demand For Quality Art

9 posts in this topic

Spider,

I actually have never understood the Schulz market. I think it is ripe for a fall. The 'Krazy Kat' of our day.

There are wayyyyyy to many of the strips floating around...one for every day of the year for over 30 years....

In contrast, something like an ASM Cover for which there are only 100 good examples gets 50-60K on average (small art)....it doesnt make sense.

Another example,...if a Watterson Calvin & Hobbes were to surface,..do you think it would get over 100K....?...maybe....and thats only one strip on market.

IMHO,.....Peanuts Schultz are ripe for a fall.

KK

PS - And every time I point this out,..the response is,..."this is one of the first" or "this one is special because its early and....."

I just dont buy it. Stick with the Super-Heroe's,...imo.

Don't get me wrong, KK. The only reason the Peanuts market does as well as it does is due to the Estate buying every single piece it can find. If I'm a seller, I make sure that they hear about my auction.

As for the Watterson comparison, I have been looking for 3 years for a "real" Calvin and Hobbes piece. Haven't come across any dailys or Sundays but have been given the opportunity to buy several specialty pieces. They were not cheap (10-20K). I assume that someday the art will become available and prices will normalize. I'll wait until then.

Well I imagine the Estate will be able to buy them cheaper in the future. Anyone who wants an example I imagine has ample opportunity to purchase a Peanuts/Schultz. After demand is fully satiated my guess is that 'Peanuts' will drop in price. With the exception of METLIFE commercials,..the franchise doesnt really even market itself anymore. In twenty years,..children will imho be,..like,.."Snoopy who ?....you mean, Snoop Dog ? Yeah,..he was Phat".

KK

JC

Maybe slightly different. While the majority of Americans will watch Snoopy every Halloween and Christmas for the annual Holiday Specials, that is the extent of the public's exposure to these characters. Contrast that with mainstream movies which are featuring a variety of superhero characters. Granted a lot of the movies s%$# it can still stimulate interest.

My 2 cents