• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM Annual 16
2 2

19 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Asmodean said:

9.6 - 9.8

9 hours ago, Joe Lindsey said:

I’m at a 9.4-9.6. More on the 9.6 side. Pretty book. Off white to white. I think the bottom is shadowing. 

Too many ink breaking spine creases/tics.  Plus, the light reflection could hide potential issues. Even after a CP, a 9.0 is difficult.  8.5 as is...IMO

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Too many ink breaking spine creases/tics.  Plus, the light reflection could hide potential issues. Even after a CP, a 9.0 is difficult.  8.5 as is...IMO

If this gets a 9.8, I'm sending in like 200 comics right away!lol

4 hours ago, Galen130 said:

I disagree, I can only see 1 maybe 2 colour breaking ticks the rest are not colour breaking. I'd willing to bet good money on that it's no lower then an 9.6

2 minutes ago, Asmodean said:

I disagree, I can only see 1 maybe 2 colour breaking ticks the rest are not colour breaking. I'd willing to bet good money on that it's no lower then an 9.6

That's the advantage of having the books in hand...we can't always see what the OP sees.  Good luck!!! (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Asmodean said:

Usually, the purpose of posting here is to see what everybody else thinks, under the conditions presented, not necessarily start disagreeing or betting Just saying...

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

:popcorn: The first 10 books I posted (and subsequently submitted) were all keys, and none of them elicited such spirited opinions...

My personal grade for this book is 9.0.  Of course it could very easily score 8.5 or lower if the graders at CGC break out their electron microscopes.

5 minutes ago, MPH1964 said:

:popcorn: The first 10 books I posted (and subsequently submitted) were all keys, and none of them elicited such spirited opinions...

My personal grade for this book is 9.0.  Of course it could very easily score 8.5 or lower if the graders at CGC break out their electron microscopes.

Good point. I'm pretty conservative estimating grades on older comics, mostly because I recently committed to trying to get better with these. I hope you hit 9.0!

2 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Good point. I'm pretty conservative estimating grades on older comics, mostly because I recently committed to trying to get better with these. I hope you hit 9.0!

Thanks!  I have been reading that CGC grades have been much tighter recently.  (Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know.). Having a conservative grading palate would undoubtedly serve you well if that is indeed the case.

8 minutes ago, MPH1964 said:

Thanks!  I have been reading that CGC grades have been much tighter recently.  (Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know.). Having a conservative grading palate would undoubtedly serve you well if that is indeed the case.

I have been doing that with even modern comics and for the most part it works out very well when I pre-screen to send off to cgc. Always miss something though on a few books at times but there's no way to be spot on each time.

For me they've been grading the opposite as far as not being too tight. I had a few that that would be 9.6 and still caught a 9.8. But for the next batch, who knows! 😂

10 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

I have been doing that with even modern comics and for the most part it works out very well when I pre-screen to send off to cgc. Always miss something though on a few books at times but there's no way to be spot on each time.

For me they've been grading the opposite as far as not being too tight. I had a few that that would be 9.6 and still caught a 9.8. But for the next batch, who knows! 😂

Ahhh... so perhaps part of a person's grading perception (whether they think grading is tight or loose) is that individual's grading frame of reference.  So my Über-simplistic, hyperbolic example would be every book I send CGC is, I believe, Gem Mint but they keep coming back much lower than that.  So CGC must be grading tight.  Whereas your tight- :baiting:grading thinks every book is a 1.0 and they come back much higher than that.  So CGC must be grading loose.  Frame of reference...

Quod erat demonstrandum.  Pretentious mic drop.