• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOULD I BUY ??? PLEASE HELP !

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm an Italian collector new to the game of CGCs books, so I would like to ask your help before buying some books on ebay that I'm interested in. I'm worried of scammers and I don't want to buy a counterfeit book. The books I'm interested in are Batman Year One (9.4), Daredevil 227 (9.6).

As you an see in the zoomed pictures, on the right inferior corner of the DD there's a little smearing, can't tell if it's the plastic wrap or the book itself. Do you think it's compatible with the 9.6 grade ? Also the back of the book seems non aligned, like it has been placed in the case in a strange position (I have posted a detail in the picture).

Also on the inferior limit of Year One  there are some signs, in this case I really can't tell if its the plastic or the cover of the book. In any case, 9.4 in your opinion can be an adequate grade ?

I have to admit that the general appearance of both books is really really good, apart from that 2 microscopic details.

About the price, do you think that 59$ for the Batman, and 45$ for the DD are honest prices ???

I would really love to have this books in my collection, I have read them and adored them and I also really love the covers of them, but obviously I don't want to give my money to a crook.

Thank you in advance to everyone that will answer me.

Schermata 2021-04-14 alle 13.21.51.png

Schermata 2021-04-14 alle 12.48.29.png

Schermata 2021-04-14 alle 12.48.53.png

Schermata 2021-04-14 alle 13.32.32.png

Schermata 2021-04-14 alle 13.35.16.png

They are in the range

no one would counterfeit these books

They look to be legit. 

Check to make sure he has a return policy. That way if you get the book and it's clearly been tampered with,  you can return it. 

But  from the pictures,  nothing raises any red flags and they aren't expensive enough for someone to put the effort into manipulating. 

1.  If you have any questions about smearing etc - ask the seller.

2.  Check and read the seller's feedback.

3.  If you receive something that is not what you ordered you can file a claim with eBay/Paypal and quite likely get your $ back.

4.  Check to see if the seller ships to Italy - a lot will not for various reasons.

44 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

1.  If you have any questions about smearing etc - ask the seller.

2.  Check and read the seller's feedback.

3.  If you receive something that is not what you ordered you can file a claim with eBay/Paypal and quite likely get your $ back.

4.  Check to see if the seller ships to Italy - a lot will not for various reasons.

Thank you for the advices, I always check feedbacks and the possibility of international shipping. I was about to ask if in case of problems it would be possible to get the money back also if the seller doesn't accept returns: I always pay with Paypal online, so there shouldn't be problems right ?

55 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

They look to be legit. 

Check to make sure he has a return policy. That way if you get the book and it's clearly been tampered with,  you can return it. 

But  from the pictures,  nothing raises any red flags and they aren't expensive enough for someone to put the effort into manipulating. 

thank you very much. I see what you mean about the return policy, but buying on ebay and with Paypal shouldn't I be protected in case of damages/non conformities of the product ?

21 minutes ago, Simone Costantini said:

thank you very much. I see what you mean about the return policy, but buying on ebay and with Paypal shouldn't I be protected in case of damages/non conformities of the product ?

I would say yes, but it's hassle.

But again - I don't see any red flags here. You should be fine

3 hours ago, Simone Costantini said:

Can you tell me why ? They are too common ?

Do you think that the prices asked are adequate ?

Do you have other general advices on how to verify the legitimacy of CGCs before buying ?

Have you ever seen a counterfeit $1 bill?  (shrug)

Yeah, question with a question..

2 hours ago, Simone Costantini said:

I would think so.  I've never had to do it but from what I understand, it almost always favours the buyer.