• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight - Original Page on eBAY

16 posts in this topic

It's at almost 1200 right now. That's still low for a DK page, even one without Batman, Robin or the Joker on it. Fair market value is probably 2-3K, although the fact that a page hasn't been offered in a long time may make the timing right for a higher end price.

I guess we'll see....

Hi Stephen,

You're probably right. These pages are becoming harder and harder to find, and this actually is a pretty nice example. There are a lot of collectors out there who have been looking for a page in this price range, as the really nice pages are consistently over 10K now.

Hi Stephen,

You're probably right. These pages are becoming harder and harder to find, and this actually is a pretty nice example. There are a lot of collectors out there who have been looking for a page in this price range, as the really nice pages are consistently over 10K now.

What's the rationale behind this, Hari? I can understand a collector wanting a nice page from a book they like. I can also understand that in some cases, they may not be able to afford a nice page. BUT, what I don't get is, if you can't afford a nice page for say $10k, what's the point of buying a cruddy page for $2K or $3K?

I'm not commenting on the pages on display here, but the TV panels one mentioned above. It may be Miller and it may be Dark Knight, but wouldn't someone be better served by spending the money on a nice page from a book that isn't so classic?

Hi Stephen,

What's the rationale behind this, Hari? I can understand a collector wanting a nice page from a book they like. I can also understand that in some cases, they may not be able to afford a nice page. BUT, what I don't get is, if you can't afford a nice page for say $10k, what's the point of buying a cruddy page for $2K or $3K?

I'm not commenting on the pages on display here, but the TV panels one mentioned above. It may be Miller and it may be Dark Knight, but wouldn't someone be better served by spending the money on a nice page from a book that isn't so classic?

But the book that isn't so classic wouldn't be DKR, so... confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally, I wouldn't think of any page from DKR being cruddy. Part of the appeal to me of DKR is the storytelling things that Miller does. The Eisner (and in the case of the TV screens, maybe a little Howard Chaykin) riffs he was still playing back then. Those TV screens, even though they might not represent the finest artistic achievement, would still be cool to me for pure sequential art enjoyment.

Of course, I like panel pages more than Splashes sometimes because I like having a little chunk of story, so your mileage will almost certainly vary.

Hi Stephen,

The point is that a page from DKR is still a page from DKR, and therefore is significant to a person who is a fan of the book. Just having a piece of that historic moment is something that many collectors are looking for. I know because many collectors, several from this forum, have emailed me over time looking for pages in this price range.

This is not very different from deciding that you'd be happy with an average Byrne X-Men panel page, since splashes, covers, or key pages are over your limit. But, you'd still rather have a lesser example from that run than a better example from a run you care little about. It's all about choices.

It's like any finite commodity. Compare it to the Super Bowl - a majority of people who watch would like to go see it live - but there are only so many seats (pages) and if you can't afford to sit where you want to sit (splashes, Batman/Joker panels) but you still want to attend the game, then you'll buy a nosebleed seat (television panel page/page without any major characters). And once you're there, you're glad that at least you got to go to the game even if you didn't sit where you wanted too.

Some people are happy just to watch the game on TV (read the graphic novel and enjoy the art).