• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

online comic book value
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Hey family, what's the best website to get a quick declared value of your comic online.  

I'm submitting several comics for the 1st time thru CGC and they asked for declared value of the comic before sending it out.

thanks, JD

You should consider "declared value" to be "insured value".  If CGC should ruin your book how much do you want for it.

You can use Fair Market Value, but I will tell you I think a lot of people don't and just take more submission risk.

For Fair Market Value:

• Ebay sold listings.
  • GPA
  • GoCollect
  • ComicsPriceGuide

12 minutes ago, Sitcler said:

Follow up question on this. Is the declared value based on the book's pre-graded price or the potential value after grading?

The declared value is what you would want to get if the book is lost or destroyed. 

Just now, shadroch said:

The declared value is what you would want to get if the book is lost or destroyed. 

Having said that and this is important as someone who has filed and won 3/3 insurance claims due to damage from USPS you have to be able to prove the books are worth that much and the damage was caused by USPS.

IF the books/slabs arrived back to you damaged you would need to provide pictures of the damaged books or slabs, take the box w/damaged books and all packing material to the local post office for inspection, provide bank statements that show the money was actually paid for the raw book and grading service and a print out from a reputable grading database like gocollect that shows the fair market value.

All three times I filed it was due to a cracked slab in shipping and I was able to get $50-$68 back but it took 3-6 months and I had to appeal 2 of them twice. I am a stickler for justice though so I stuck with it. I suspect many people wouldn't dedicate the time, energy and patience that I did.

I think it would be very difficult to win an insurance claim on damage to a raw book because there would be disagreement on the grade of the book and fair market value. Just my 2c

48 minutes ago, Sitcler said:

Follow up question on this. Is the declared value based on the book's pre-graded price or the potential value after grading?

none, it's based on how much you want back if CGC loses your book. It's only for insurance purposes and nothing else. So do with that as you will. If you are going for the modern tier, write 200$ for each of them.

1 hour ago, Testinadicalicious said:

Well, for the tiers too. UF4 ain't going Modern no more.

Depends on the grade