• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offers on comics through Metropolis

77 posts in this topic

I'm looking to buy my first books from Metropolis and am considering putting in an offer in on one of these books.

What are forum members experiences in putting in offers throught them? Are they willing to bend, negotiate? Do they get back to you pretty quickly.

I know the only way to find out is to do it, but I'm just curious to see what others have experienced. I suppose if you are a regular customer they're more willing to deal.

Thanks

If it makes you guys feel any better, as much as I respect the achievements they have made (I think both Vinnie and Steve are damn younger than me!), find their inventory fantastic and consider them friends, even I as a part-time dealer don't get discounts. boo.gif

Nah, didn't think that would make you feel better. Just makes me feel sad with you guys cause I would like to own some of their books. tonofbricks.gif

I have gotten discounts of around 10% on two books from Metro. Sometimes it helps to call and talk to Ed directly.

If you're going to try something silly like making an offer at 50%, don't waste your time.

I have gotten discounts of around 10% on two books from Metro. Sometimes it helps to call and talk to Ed directly.

If you're going to try something silly like making an offer at 50%, don't waste your time.

But you've always been a sweet talker tongue.gif - How was dinner? hi.gif

Pretty good! Went to Le Cheval in Oakland, right next to the convention center where this year's Oakland con was held. cloud9.gif

I love Vinnie and company but their "offers" is a complete waste of time. I've made offers that were in 10-20% off their list price and I got a free shipping response. I look at X-Men 49 they have had on their web site for over year ( possibly two years.) The price is $495 with cream to off white pages, I offered three times guide a long time ago. The market price on this comic ( especially with the cream pages) is about half their regular price. I ended up picking a much nicer copy with white pages for $200 less. I do not understand the point of keeping issues in inventory for long periods of time, not accepting offers even though you have the option, and pricing certain books way out the market price. Personally, I think they do not distinguish the pricing structure difference between high end books and everyday books. Do they realize how many good customer's they scare away to Heritage, High Grade, Superworld eBay or any other venue that falls within GPA and other prevailig market pricing? It is that niche of $500 or less , 3 times guide buyers that they miss. I would think a company with that much buying power and a leadership whose market savvy is unrivalved would realize this.

All good points and while I admire their GA selection the prices are just generally way too high to justify my business on a consistent basis. Now that Heritage is gone weekly and is consistently selling on EBay, Pedigree and others are coming on the scene there are just too many other more affordable options to consider. I think that if they have some real discounts with some of their "A" books they could move a ton of inventory and get more repeat business from their loyal clientele. But hey what do I know.

I love Vinnie and company but their "offers" is a complete waste of time. I've made offers that were in 10-20% off their list price and I got a free shipping response. I look at X-Men 49 they have had on their web site for over year ( possibly two years.) The price is $495 with cream to off white pages, I offered three times guide a long time ago. The market price on this comic ( especially with the cream pages) is about half their regular price. I ended up picking a much nicer copy with white pages for $200 less. I do not understand the point of keeping issues in inventory for long periods of time, not accepting offers even though you have the option, and pricing certain books way out the market price. Personally, I think they do not distinguish the pricing structure difference between high end books and everyday books. Do they realize how many good customer's they scare away to Heritage, High Grade, Superworld eBay or any other venue that falls within GPA and other prevailig market pricing? It is that niche of $500 or less , 3 times guide buyers that they miss. I would think a company with that much buying power and a leadership whose market savvy is unrivalved would realize this.

Ya I've often felt the same way as I am a $250-$500 comic book buyer. I've posted on this topic and talked to Vincent about the lack of scans and some of their pricing on non-key books. But hey that's their business model and business must be good or else they'd change it. I have personally only bought one book off Metro since I've been back (3 years now). I'm hoping the new web site will maybe come with some other changes, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Pretty good! Went to Le Cheval in Oakland, right next to the convention center where this year's Oakland con was held. cloud9.gif

You went to Le Cheval 893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif that's rubbing it in - I ate left overs Christo_pull_hair.gif

I have said this before:

When I was buying comic books, Metropolis gave discounts WHEN THEY COULD.

If they had "too much" into the book, they could not give a discount, sometimes they pay very high to have the right book in their inventory. Buying is usually better than selling for most dealers. It is easy to sell low, it is much, much harder to buy low.

I have been friends with Vinnie for about eleven years and Steve much longer, I got a discount when they could give me one and did not get a discount when they could not.

Also, why should Metropolis sell a book at a discount when they might not be able to replace it for the correct amount of money. Metropolis sends out "discount" emails quite a bit these days for books that are replacable or that they do not have as much $ into.

That is how their business works. Like auction sites (Comiclnk, Pedigree,Heritage and others), they need to make a profit, but unlike the auction sites, they (and Highgrade, Superworld, among others) don't "show" what percntage/premium the buyer and seller are getting/giving. For all we know, it is less than the % the auction sites make.

Just my 2 cents...........

you can just about forget the "make an offer" button, I think it's broke grin.gif

I have only bought one GA book from Metro and although I feel it was accurately graded and I am very happy with it, I still know that I overpaid by at least $200-$250 , but since I don't plan on selling anytime soon, I will have to wait until the market catches up (and hopefully surpases) the price I paid, however, on the good side they do offer a full return policy (except on CGC graded books), and and very fast with shipping and email replies..and of course a very vast selection of books.

thedude.