• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offers on comics through Metropolis

77 posts in this topic

I have said this before:

When I was buying comic books, Metropolis gave discounts WHEN THEY COULD.

If they had "too much" into the book, they could not give a discount, sometimes they pay very high to have the right book in their inventory. Buying is usually better than selling for most dealers. It is easy to sell low, it is much, much harder to buy low.

I have been friends with Vinnie for about eleven years and Steve much longer, I got a discount when they could give me one and did not get a discount when they could not.

Also, why should Metropolis sell a book at a discount when they might not be able to replace it for the correct amount of money. Metropolis sends out "discount" emails quite a bit these days for books that are replacable or that they do not have as much $ into.

That is how their business works. Like auction sites (Comiclnk, Pedigree,Heritage and others), they need to make a profit, but unlike the auction sites, they (and Highgrade, Superworld, among others) don't "show" what percntage/premium the buyer and seller are getting/giving. For all we know, it is less than the % the auction sites make.

Just my 2 cents...........

I agree with Steve here. Whenever I've contacted Vince he's been very forthcoming about which books he can give a small discount on and which ones he can't. I think the best method would be to submit a request for 5 or 6 books you're thinking of purchasing and give a ball park number about what you're willing to pay (which at minimum should be around 85-90%). If the books aren't consigned or uber high grade then perhaps a deal may be worked out. I have made many purchases from Metro and don't take advantage of this system. 50% of the time I pay the full amount without question. Another 30% of the time I get rejected for whatever reason, and 20% of the time I've received a 5 to 10% discount. What FFB and Steve said is true.

Just out of curiosity, I got this from Met a few years back,cover detached,pages tan with dark tan edges rough backcover, How would you grade it. See attachment.

Personally, I'd grade it a 1.8 (2.0 tops).

same here..

Just out of curiosity, I got this from Met a few years back,cover detached,pages tan with dark tan edges rough backcover, How would you grade it. See attachment.

same here..

No way that book makes a 2.0 with the cover detached and those pieces missing. I would give it a 1.5 tops. frown.gif

same here..

No way that book makes a 2.0 with the cover detached and those pieces missing. I would give it a 1.5 tops. frown.gif

That's my boy!! wink.gif

same here..

That's my boy!! wink.gif

27_laughing.gif

I am going to ruin the suspense. I have had 3 copies over the last 10 years. A Fine, a GD minus, and a FA. I believe that this is the copy that was sold as a GD minus. It is possible that this was the fair. I would have to have an invoice # to know for sure.

Steve

Thank's for killing the suspense! I was fairly certain I purchased this as a GD+ off of the website, but if if you say it was a GD- far be it from me to disagree. I know I was dissapointed when I recieved it, but it wasn't worth the shipping to send it back.

Let me guess, it was graded VF-?

I was trying to remember why you were so bitter at Metropolis and then it came to me. Didn't you learn your lesson last time you accused Metro of poor grading?

The FA copy was sold for $35.00, the GD- was sold for $43.00. Which copy did you buy? I can provide you with an invoice which will clearly show what the book was graded at.

Steve

It must have been the good- which I remebered as a good +, but what's your point, I was asking for a book to be graded through the scan I attached to see how close people could come and as far as I can tell they came pretty close. Why are you so defensive and why would you want to interrupt this excercise?

The FA copy was sold for $35.00, the GD- was sold for $43.00. Which copy did you buy? I can provide you with an invoice which will clearly show what the book was graded at.

Steve

It must have been the good- which I remembered as a good +, but what's your point, I was asking for a book to be graded through the scan I attached to see how close people could come and as far as I can tell they came pretty close. Why are you so defensive and why would you want to interrupt this excercise?

You know it now occurs to me that the website said good+, I suppose your website couldn't have been in error? Also, why the pre emptive strike before more people had a chance to grade the book, it's only a cheap low grade. Have you been taking a lot of heat on your grading?Go ahead and show me your invoice, you don't thnk the website could have been in error, showing a g+ while the invoice said g-.

Steve

It must have been the good- which I remembered as a good +, but what's your point, I was asking for a book to be graded through the scan I attached to see how close people could come and as far as I can tell they came pretty close. Why are you so defensive and why would you want to interrupt this excercise?

You know it now occurs to me that the website said good+, I suppose your website couldn't have been in error? Also, why the pre emptive strike before more people had a chance to grade the book, it's only a cheap low grade. Have you been taking a lot of heat on your grading?Go ahead and show me your invoice, you don't thnk the website could have been in error, showing a g+ while the invoice said g-.

Wow, you're all wound up today Vince! How much do you want for your Fair + Pep #49? stooges.gifpoke2.gif

I want that Zip 27 you just scored. I'm sorry I didn't realise you still worked Met.

...Still worked met? Don't understand that comment. Hey, I have nothing against Stephen. Anyway, I thought you said "but if if you say it was a GD- far be it from me to disagree" and NOW you're disagreeing?

So what's your price for the #49? How about I send you a "Jackson" and you cover the shipping to me? 893whatthe.gifacclaim.gifpoke2.gifyay.gif

Sorry it's not for sale. It means too much to me. The point is I put that up to be graded and steve pre empted on it before hardly any one got the chance. The other point is I remember the website calling that a g+, no matter what his invoice might show. And furthermore, It was just an exercise in grading. So there!