• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four 1 (GRR)
3 3

11 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2022 at 5:31 PM, grebal said:

The power of positive thinking !

In comparison to when Mmanick posted same book around a year later when board members estimated lower grades for it.

Way higher than what everyone thought for me and it's the exact same scan 🙂

On 7/8/2022 at 10:46 PM, Mmanick said:

Way higher than what everyone thought for me and it's the exact same scan 🙂

I think we talked them down.

It actually makes sense in a 'power of suggestion' pov.  Wouldn't be surprised if you scored closer to a 6.0 if you sent it in, the major crease bottom right is sometimes acceptable in that grade.  But raw books are super cool so I'd vote no on slabbing.

Edited by grebal
to edit it

I didn't start posting in PGM until June 2021 so I only graded the most recent post of this book. (I said 5.0/5.5.)

IMO, board graders have collectively gotten more conservative over the past year. Maybe that'll explain the discrepancy. Maybe we are responding to CGC's fluctuation between being liberal or conservative in their grading.

There is something to the power of suggestion though and I wonder also how it plays out between the graders there in Sarasota.

It can be a difficult task sticking to your grade after you decide upon it then scroll down to see different estimates posted. However, it's immensely satisfying when you do scroll down and see your opinion is shared.

The professional graders there in Florida probably could use more eyes on every comic book. I think most books are seen here in PGM by more graders than they would be at CGC. And I give a lot of credence to the graders here. There are many, many that are informed and know their stuff. The collective grades from PGM posters, even if it's a range with no consensus, is on par with CGC's official number, IMO.

CGC's grade will probably land in the middle of the two sets of estimates. If we're not spot on we are rarely more than one grade off.

Thanks for posting.