• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover to X-Men 138 - A fanboy's dream....

6 posts in this topic

For some reason I was cruising the Heritage OA offerings coming up - mostly due to all the 893censored-thumb.gif going on in the HG slabbed market lately, I might use my quarterly bigger ticket comic purchase on an OA piece instead of a key book I need. Even though this is waaaay out of my price range, it did make my jaw drop. One of my fav covers - there are also a few Adams Batman Covers up this time cloud9.gif ANy of the OA guru's have any comment on what FMV is on this cover.

X-Men 138 Cover

Hi Jason,

There's been some pretty spirited discussions about this page and its value in previous threads, prompting discussion about Byrne X-Men covers in general (after the recent sales by Heritage and the fact that this was offered up as well). There was also speculation about how much it might go for.

I don't have timeright now to dig out the links, but the gist was that a considerable amount of the cover is composed of stats, which some people hate and others don't care about. Certainly it's an iconic cover from a very key series of events in X-Men continuity but it seems people either love the cover or hate it.

In my own opinion, I think it's a great image, but other recent covers that have sold are better. This one just sticks out in my mind more because it's the issue after Phoenix (well, ok, not really Phoenix) dies.

But like any piece of art, it only takes 2 people who want it bad to jack up the final hammer price.

--Steve

Steve, you have to come back to SF so we can all go out to dinner and I can bogart you for a few hours and get a good foundation for the ABCs of OA so I don't get taken to the cleaners if I decide to delve a little more deeply in the near future.

hi.gifflamed.gif

Steve, you have to come back to SF so we can all go out to dinner and I can bogart you for a few hours and get a good foundation for the ABCs of OA so I don't get taken to the cleaners if I decide to delve a little more deeply in the near future.

hi.gifflamed.gif

thumbsup2.gif Anytime!!! Sorry I won't be out for FFBs wedding. My org's annual conference is in Montreal at the same time. I might be out that way for Wondercon 893crossfingers-thumb.gif and will definitely be out to Palo Alto for a meeting in April.

Of course, you're welcome to come to Chicago anytime. Ask Scott and Liz though: You gotta like Great Danes.... grin.gif

PM or email me anytime if you've got questions!