• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the ceiling on Special Marvel Edition 15?
1 1

54 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, SuperBird said:

It doesn't have any of what I loved about the 70s series, but I liked the trailer anyway. Marvel hasn't ever had a miss (I liked even the "worst" that they put out), so until they do I'll just assume this will be quality. 

My only concern is that the writer Dave Callaham was the same as Wonder Woman 1984 ...and that movie sucked. 

On 4/21/2021 at 6:13 AM, yogi_bear13 said:

There is a 9.8 OW/W on eBay right now at auction for nearly 6k.  I wonder what it sells for?  My guess is around 10k. 

1 hour ago, comic_memories said:

Well, from where I was tracking this one that just sold in Heritage's Sunday Auction, both of you might be on the low side by quite a bit here:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/special-marvel-edition-15-shang-chi-master-of-kung-fu-marvel-1973-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122117-17541.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F8%2F5%2F0%2F23850301%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I would assume this must be a new record for this book in this grade since it sold for $14,400 as the crazed FOMO buyers must still be out there in hordes and rushing to buy a book that you couldn't even give away a few years ago.  Especially when they were part of such a huge warehouse find that they were probably given to the little kiddies as part of their scary Halloween treats.  :screwy:  (:

Which probably means that I really should get around to looking for my handful of copies which I simply couldn't resist back in the day because they were always around the back bins of the LCS's and in such minty fresh condition to cherry pick all for only for a loonie or thereabouts if I remember correctly.  :applause:

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from where I was tracking this one that just sold in Heritage's Sunday Auction, both of you might be on the low side by quite a bit here:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/special-marvel-edition-15-shang-chi-master-of-kung-fu-marvel-1973-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122117-17541.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F8%2F5%2F0%2F23850301%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I would assume this must be a new record for this book in this grade since it sold for $14,400 as the crazed FOMO buyers must still be out there in hordes and rushing to buy a book that you couldn't even give away a few years ago.  Especially when they were part of such a huge warehouse find that they were probably given to the little kiddies as part of their scary Halloween treats.  :screwy:  (:

Which probably means that I really should get around to looking for my handful of copies which I simply couldn't resist back in the day because they were always around the back bins of the LCS's and in such minty fresh condition to cherry pick all for only for a loonie or thereabouts if I remember correctly.  :applause:

Those are both the same copy we linked on Ebay  that currently closes later today and it now at 10K+.   It will most likely go higher as the copy you tracked  on Heritage did. 

Special Marvel Edition #15 (1973) CGC 9.8 *1st Appearance of Shang-Chi* | eBay

Census numbers don't reflect a crazy amount of high grade yet, time will tell

Edited by comic_memories

3 hours ago, comic_memories said:

Census numbers don't reflect a crazy amount of high grade yet, time will tell

Not sure about this as the current census numbers already indicates over 100 copies in CGC 9.8 plus another some 350 copies in CGC 9.6 knocking right on its door.  (shrug)

Like you alluded to, I am quite sure these census numbers will be skyrocketing as this was part of a large warehouse find with tons of HG copies out there for cheap cheap prices back in the day.   :luhv:  :takeit:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :whee:

28 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

The miswrap on this book... fml

Yeah, I still remember flipping right past so many minty fresh copies of this book here for only a loonie back in the day, just because of the rather overwhelmingly high proprotion of them that had this exact same rather huge miswrapped white stripe running down the spine.  :p

I guess I shouldn't have been so hasty and simply have picked up a few more copies since CGC probably considers this to be a normal printing defect for the book here, as they haven't rerally downgraded for it in terms of this copy here.  (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yeah, I still remember flipping right past so many minty fresh copies of this book here for only a loonie back in the day, just because of the rather overwhelmingly high proprotion of them that had this exact same rather huge miswrapped white stripe running down the spine.  :p

I guess I shouldn't have been so hasty and simply have picked up a few more copies since CGC probably considers this to be a normal printing defect for the book here, as they haven't rerally downgraded for it in terms of this copy here.  (thumbsu

you'd just think, with 100 9.8s out there, the buyer would have waited for a better 9.8. 

9 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

you'd just think, with 100 9.8s out there, the buyer would have waited for a better 9.8. 

Well, in today's marketplace, it's really all about those crazed crypto like FOMO buyers who's driving these prices into the stratosphere.  :bigsmile:

This new generation of buyers today don't really care so much about the underlying comic book itself that's encased inside the slab, as what really matters to them is just that big big number on the top left hand corner of the slab.  :p

In addition, they are probably also afraid that if they wait much longer for the movie to hit the silver screen, the book might be into the $20K's by then or possibly even higher, as evident by books such as GSXM 1 which went from the mid-$20K's into the mid-$40K's, and now into $60K's a short month later.  Similar with TMNT 1 where it was the CGC 9.8 graded copies selling for mid-$50K's into the mid-$60K's, and now that there's none of these around, it's the CGC 9.6 graded copy that sells for $66K and then another CGC 9.6 graded copy that beats it a few short weeks later by selling for $88K.  :screwy:

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, in today's marketplace, it's really all about those crazed crypto like FOMO buyers who's driving these prices into the stratosphere.  :bigsmile:

This new generation of buyers today don't really care so much about the underlying comic book itself that's encased inside the slab, as what really matters to them is just that big big number on the top left hand corner of the slab.  :p

In addition, they are probably also afraid that if they wait much longer for the movie to hit the silver screen, the book might be into the $20K's by then or possibly even higher, as evident by books such as GSXM 1 which went from the mid-$20K's into the mid-$40K's, and now into $60K's a short month later.  Similar with TMNT 1 where it was the CGC 9.8 graded copies selling for mid-$50K's into the mid-$60K's, and now that there's none of these around, it's the CGC 9.6 graded copy that sells for $66K and then another CGC 9.6 graded copy that beats it a few short weeks later by selling for $88K.  :screwy:

It's pretty remarkable how this wave of price inflation has hit basically everywhere apart from DCs. 

4 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

It's pretty remarkable how this wave of price inflation has hit basically everywhere apart from DCs. 

lol (very true)

28 minutes ago, piper said:
33 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

lol (very true)

You mean all of these long running and supposedly successful TV shows like the Arrowverse, Black Lightning, Star Girl, Gotham and all of their related comic book intros of long established DC characters for some reason just don't seem to have the same effect on the DC books like they do with the Marvel books.  :(