• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CGC Certification Number

28 posts in this topic

I created this post to help people understand what is composed of the CGC certifcation number that is immediately above the bar code on the label.

My current understanding is that there are two components:

[invoice number] [book number]

The invoice number is six digits and the book number is three digits.

I remember Red Hook saying that there is a component that comprises the dealer number.

Can someone confirm I am correct or correct my understanding?

Thanks!

I remember Red Hook saying that there is a component that comprises the dealer number.

Can someone confirm I am correct or correct my understanding?

Thanks!

incorrect. no dealer or account information in the bar code

labeldata.jpg

See my revised graphic.

The bottom line, is that if you are a regular high volume submitter you may be using a stack of pre-printed submission forms that are sequentially numbered.

Well, the thing is......if someone is using a stack of preprinted forms, the numbers of the submissions will be sequential or at least the first several numbers will be the same. It's a flawed research tool, but it can help.

Well, the thing is......if someone is using a stack of preprinted forms, the numbers of the submissions will be sequential or at least the first several numbers will be the same. It's a flawed research tool, but it can help.

Is there a list of known Ewert invoice #'s??? If not, there should be... frown.gif

labeldata.jpg

See my revised graphic.

The bottom line, is that if you are a regular high volume submitter you may be using a stack of pre-printed submission forms that are sequentially numbered.

Ummm...it's a small point, but the first number is always 0, followed by the actual 6 digit invoice number.

labeldata.jpg

See my revised graphic.

Ummm...it's a small point, but the first number is always 0, followed by the actual 6 digit invoice number.

Except when the invoice numbers hit 1,xxx,xxx. Then it will always be a zero.....except when it's a one....

labeldata.jpg

See my revised graphic.

Except when the invoice numbers hit 1,xxx,xxx. Then it will always be a zero.....except when it's a one....

I've actually seen a few of the Don Rosa books start with an "8".

Hey Steve,

True, but was Jason in the habit of standing around at a con and submitting his books that way?

Can you see him at the CGC desk, grabbing a form and writing it out right at the desk?

Odds are, he was working from a stack of sequentially numbered forms provided him by CGC, (and he's not submitting through someone else's website, ya think?) and if you know one series of submissions, it's at least worth taking the trouble to examine numerically adjacent series of submissions via the CGC number lookup feature.

I've already spoken to one dealer who confirmed he had stacks of submission forms and they were all sequentially numbered. I never said it was perfect, but to ignore looking at adjacent series of submissions is passing up a possible way of ID-ing more of Jason's books.

Brad

I've already spoken to one dealer who confirmed he had stacks of submission forms and they were all sequentially numbered.

Yep. I have stacks that are sequentially numbered and I rarely submit.

Has anyone ever seen Jason buy books and then immediately submit them? He may use the form from the booth then. confused-smiley-013.gif

0703 just gets you within 1000 submission forms

Yeah, but if you work immediately backward and forward sequentially from a particular submission series, (using the first 7 numbers and not just the first 4) odds are you are going to run across more of Jason' submissions due to the reasons in my post above. Jason wasn't your average submitter. He was a regular volume submitter

Of course all of this would be unnecessary if as a public service, to a lot of concerned CGC customers, CGC just released a list of all of Jason's submission over the last 12 months.

Brad

If a submission series beginning with the CGC number 0703085001 has been identified as Jason's then it's worth examining the series beginning with 0703084001 and 0703086001.

Obviously, the content of the series is worth comparing. Many times one series is just a continuation of the books in the previous series. You can only fit so many books on a submission form, before grabbing another off the stack and adding more books.

I mean, this isn't just theory....I've been successful in tracking down pedigree books by finding a series with one in it, and then looking at the adjacent series. It works.

Litch, how'm I doing? Still think I'm screwy.gif

Brad

Of course all of this would be unnecessary if as a public service, to a lot of concerned CGC customers, CGC just released a list of all of Jason's submission over the last 12 months.

Brad

thumbsup2.gif

I think they have to do that. If they don't frustrated.gif (and that might put me over the edge). frustrated.gif

Regarding submissions at a con, I'm pretty sure he didn't just purchase them, go back to his hotel, work his magic and then submit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So he probably has a stack of submission forms but more likely, I would think he would do it online.

All of this doesn't matter as once again, CGC needs to release which invoice numbers relate to his submissions.

Hey Steve,

True, but was Jason in the habit of standing around at a con and submitting his books that way?

Can you see him at the CGC desk, grabbing a form and writing it out right at the desk?

Odds are, he was working from a stack of sequentially numbered forms provided him by CGC, (and he's not submitting through someone else's website, ya think?) and if you know one series of submissions, it's at least worth taking the trouble to examine numerically adjacent series of submissions via the CGC number lookup feature.

I've already spoken to one dealer who confirmed he had stacks of submission forms and they were all sequentially numbered. I never said it was perfect, but to ignore looking at adjacent series of submissions is passing up a possible way of ID-ing more of Jason's books.

Brad

Brad - Have you ever filled out a physical paper form? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I thought not. sumo.gif

Anyone as computer savy as Jason is going to make his subs online, which as far as I can tell from my experience assigns an arbitrary invoice number. It may be sequential on some plane but not by the user.

That being said, CGC has all of the account info for VIA and/or books submitted by Jason in his own name, but cannot identify JE books that may have been submitted through other accounts.

-d

I love it when you ask me a question and then answer it for me..incorrectly. Yes I have filled out the paper form. Do you want to see a scan or do you believe me? poke2.gif

I'm telling you, I'm right. I've come across tons of sequentially adjacent submission series all with books from the same pedigrees (not just Green River) liberally scattered among them. You think that's just a coincidence?