• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age and Silver Age Dealers - Where Did They Go
2 2

30 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, innocuous said:

One and only :bump: let me know if there are any other updates to the list. If not, I'll post it back to the respective forums and revisit in the next 3-5 years.

Thank for putting this together.  Interesting to see how many closed their websites.

Sometimes life happens.  I am pretty sure that one of those mentioned has had the inventory depleted or sold off due to personal issues. 

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Sometimes life happens.  I am pretty sure that one of those mentioned has had the inventory depleted or sold off due to personal issues. 

Correct. There is no judgement in this list. I have a few failed businesses myself, but no regrets trying. 

I'll let this thread fade away. If anyone has an update, send me a PM and I'll see if I can update. Or, you can update the pinned threads in the SA/GA forums.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, Jeffro. said:

Payette is not defunct >> http://www.jamespayettecomics.com/

I think in some cases the old website might be defunct/inactive but they are still present on social media and/or ebay. Just one example but I found Redbeard's facebook page >> https://www.facebook.com/people/Redbeards-Book-Den/100049945825883/

And his ebay >> https://www.ebay.com/str/redbeardsbookden

Payette is definitely active .... one of a very few dealers I'll buy from without seeing an image. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Hey, innocuous!

I just wanted to let you know how much I like your ComicSeeker tool. I use it literally every week and I was very excited when you added new sites recently.

I’m a user experience professional in my secret identity off the boards, and so I always tend to be thinking in terms of software roadmaps. If I were to try and lay out a software roadmap for ComicSeeker, this would be the high-level story:

• Point release enhancements: Continue to integrate new sites into the search engine
  • Next killer feature: Add “Condition” as a search criteria!
  • Utopian ideal: ComicSeeker returns a federated results page (I.e., the user searches for Daredevil #2 in 6.0 condition and ComicSeeker returns a single page of results listing the sites that have that book with links to each  comic.)

Note that none of the above is a critique of ComicSeeker’s current functionality, which is incredibly cool and a huge time-saver for me! It’s just fun to think about potential future iterations.

(Also, as a user experience guy, I’m always trying to make life effortless for the end user by bringing pain to the poor developer. Sorry about that...)

Thanks for providing this tool.

36 minutes ago, Off Panel said:

Utopian ideal: ComicSeeker returns a federated results page (I.e., the user searches for Daredevil #2 in 6.0 condition and ComicSeeker returns a single page of results listing the sites that have that book with links to each  comic.)

Thanks for the compliment and feedback. It is appreciated and nice to know people use the site.

Yes! A federated results page is what I want. I have thought of it. However, a custom scraper is needed for this, for all the sites that need to be scraped. Yikes! Given all the tools that are available, not an impossible task. But, something that my day job gets in the way of. (I'm not a programmer.)

:gossip: I have another project going on that I hope to finish this summer, something to do with the pain it is for me to track all the auctions I'm bidding on. 

4 hours ago, innocuous said:

After exchanging PMs with someone, decided to post a screenshot of one of the inactive sites. This page is worth it to pay the hosting fees for the last 3 years of inactivity. Dealers are hoarders too...

image.thumb.png.7a194007f3c3a13a480740f6b43f66bf.png

RIP Johnny Crawford

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johnny-crawford-young-star-of-the-rifleman-dies-at-75