• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hesitant and Reluctant to Buy Raw Silver Age
2 2

30 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2021 at 12:22 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

CGC would drop the trimming from the label.  I’m assuming it falls under the “pieces added” part of the label.

You mean to tell me I can simply purchase a trim book, have CCS add the tiny missing piece, get a conserved label? That would suck if the person I sold it to decided to have the work removed only to discover it’s trimmed. 

2 minutes ago, Nazirite said:

You mean to tell me I can simply purchase a trim book, have CCS add the tiny missing piece, get a conserved label? That would suck if the person I sold it to decided to have the work removed only to discover it’s trimmed. 

I mean, that’s my understanding.  

On 4/26/2021 at 10:22 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

CGC would drop the trimming from the label.  I’m assuming it falls under the “pieces added” part of the label.

I argued this on my restored FF1 that came back with "trimmed" on the label. 

I said that trimming excess leaf casting isn't "trimming" in the normal sense. They didn't agree. 

Which makes me wonder if Hero's work was undetectable? 

To verify if an online book has been trimmed, do an image search of the cover online.   The cut lines at the factory could vary by a few mm  but if the book is short at the top, it needs to be long at the bottom.   If the copy on sale has a strangely small image area compared to online images, walk away.

And if you are looking at a copy in person, just whip out a ruler.

Trimming on early SA Marvels would have been to remove the unsightly "Marvel Chipping" that these books were infamous for. This mostly happened at the side rather than the top, so take that into account when considering the evidence as per above advice.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:31 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I argued this on my restored FF1 that came back with "trimmed" on the label. 

I said that trimming excess leaf casting isn't "trimming" in the normal sense. They didn't agree. 

Which makes me wonder if Hero's work was undetectable? 

I have this Strange Tales book with what I believe to be an extremely bad factory cut. It didn't even cut the back cover off and the regular page cuts are ragged. Its in great shape in its original form but makes the back cover very fragile. Pretty much the only book I ever thought about if it could be trimmed.

Strange Tales #167.jpg

On 4/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, TheBigJ said:

Greetings,

I've been burned several times buying so-called high grade silvers. received books, but when graded, found to have been trimmed.(Avengers 53 and Flash 140) . To say I was disappointed would be an under statement.

Didn't fall for the "you get what you pay for" trap. Paid FMV for these books, just wasn't aware of trim. Not saying dealer was either. 

Purchased a IH181, received book, was missing MVS, but since my skills could detect a CUTOUT from a page, returned book for a full refund.

Perhaps it's my own fault for not having knowledge of how to ID trimming, restoration of books upon receipt Then perhaps I could have address with seller.

Any tips on identifying trimmed and or restored books would be appreciated? 

Regardless,, it's led to be extremely hesitant to by so called HG raw books. Which is a shame as I like to actually read the book(would'a thunk it) as opposed to buying slab, crack, read and re-sub- No! Guess I could settle for  a reprint, again -No.

Regards

What is a trimmed comic book?