• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting historic coincidence

8 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, shadroch said:

That officer was Major Malcolm Nicholson Wheeler,

The only key figure in comics history  to sound more upper class British than Basil Wolverton.

But, well spotted and interesting.

46 minutes ago, innocuous said:

Also the first guy in original comics to get shafted by the man.

If you have a picture, that would be nice to share.

The bar on the border doesn't allow indoor photography. I think they only ban flash photography but I was yelled at and chastised after my first time in there when I tried to take a photo.

28 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

If he founded dc wouldn't he be the man 

Easiest to just quote a quote from wikipedia

In early 1938, Harry Donenfeld send him and his wife on a cruise to Cuba to 'work up new ideas'. When they came home, the major found the lock to his office door changed. In his absence, Harry had sued him for nonpayment and pushed Detective Comics, Inc. into bankruptcy court. There a judge named Abe Mennen, one of Harry's old Tammany buddies, had been appointed interim president of the firm and arranged a quick sale of its assets to Independent News. Harry gave the major a percentage of More Fun Comics as a shut-up token and wished him well.

20 hours ago, innocuous said:

Easiest to just quote a quote from wikipedia

In early 1938, Harry Donenfeld send him and his wife on a cruise to Cuba to 'work up new ideas'. When they came home, the major found the lock to his office door changed. In his absence, Harry had sued him for nonpayment and pushed Detective Comics, Inc. into bankruptcy court. There a judge named Abe Mennen, one of Harry's old Tammany buddies, had been appointed interim president of the firm and arranged a quick sale of its assets to Independent News. Harry gave the major a percentage of More Fun Comics as a shut-up token and wished him well.

Damn. Good thing McFarlane and company learned from his mistakes

23 hours ago, shadroch said:

I was yelled at and chastised after my first time in there when I tried to take a photo.

Sounds like a mission.  The bartender is probably a jerk.  Get drunk and fight him and then rip that picture off the wall and walk out with it.  

Watch Mickey Rourke in Barfly for inspiration.