• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stack of old comics? give 'em to the Japanese students to learn English
1 1

18 posts in this topic

It’s a great idea. I suspect that reading bits of Metal Hurlant in the 70s helped my high school French.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Wutever you do do not give them BA Kirby books or they will not know how to use quotation marks.

2 hours ago, kav said:

Wutever you do do not give them BA Kirby books or they will not know how to use quotation marks.

Also, don’t forget that in many comics all the sentences end with “!”

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/28/2021 at 12:55 AM, BanjerD said:

I teach English at a junior high school (not online in this area) so I have a stack of mostly Bronze Age books to let the students read.  Interestingly, many of these books have Mark Jeweler inserts and stamped from the Yokota Air Base near Tokyo, so they were originally purchased and have survived here in Japan for almost 50 years.  No collector bags or boards for these well-read books, they will continue to bring enjoyment and entertainment as originally intended.

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

Great to hear from you. I like what you're doing here. If you need any books I have a bunch of reader copies that I can send you for your students.

Donating Silver Age would start to get expensive, but I quite like the idea that someday I'd meet a Japanese guy who routinely said things like "Nuff said!" and "Face front, true believer!"

i'm curious what the experience id like for them. they almost all will have grown up reading japanese manga which obviously look quite different, and usually read from right page to left page, starting at what we would consider the back of the book. is there any plan to informally survey them for opionions later?

Japanese students are FAR more intelligent and prone to learning than their American counterparts. What SHOULD be happening is US students being sat down and given Japanese comic books to read in a classroom setting. Or French. Or Chinese. Or Mandarin. Or Spanish.

11 hours ago, Point Five said:

Donating Silver Age would start to get expensive, but I quite like the idea that someday I'd meet a Japanese guy who routinely said things like "Nuff said!" and "Face front, true believer!"

I still remember wondering who Nuff was as a youngster....:facepalm: