• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCS Cleaning
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I have an old book I got graded years ago, now I see that CCS can clean pencil marks and would like to get my book resubmitted.  Does anyone think they will be able to clean the pencil sufficiently?  Thank you in advance.

th17.jpg

th17-1.jpg

th17-2.jpg

th17-3.jpg

Just now, Angel of Death said:

That's a lot of pencil. Is your game to improve the grade, or just remove the pencil marks and 'see what happens'?

Don't care about the grade, just want to get rid of the pencil.

I think they can improve the look,  but not totally eliminate the damage / pencil. 

They can likely remove or clean up a bunch of those marks.  Certainly the lighter areas. 

I don't think they'll remove indents,  where the pencil was pushed down, even after a press. Some darker areas my remain. 

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

Does CCS say whether or not this technique includes restoration? I would email them and make sure.

I assumed he was talking about a dry clean, included with pressing, but that's a good distinction. 

Does CCS say whether or not this technique includes restoration? I would email them and make sure.

Tried emailing, haven't heard back yet, but their cleaning and pressing FAQ states it removes pencil, and it is not considered restoration.  Not sure they would be able to remove that much though lol 

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I think they can improve the look,  but not totally eliminate the damage / pencil. 

They can likely remove or clean up a bunch of those marks.  Certainly the lighter areas. 

I don't think they'll remove indents,  where the pencil was pushed down, even after a press. Some darker areas my remain. 

Thanks, my main concern was the pencil marks, but with so many I wasn't sure if it would be possible.  Hopefully they can get back to me.

Just now, lesieur40 said:

Tried emailing, haven't heard back yet, but their cleaning and pressing FAQ states it removes pencil, and it is not considered restoration.  Not sure they would be able to remove that much though lol 

In that case, I agree with @KCOComics in that they will likely be able to remove most of the lead, but some may remain and there will likely be invisible indents from some areas where lead previously resided.

In that case, I agree with @KCOComics in that they will likely be able to remove most of the lead, but some may remain and there will likely be invisible indents from some areas where lead previously resided.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!  Hopefully I can send it and get it back in a reasonable time.

2 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I sent in this raw ASM with pencil to CCS. I had hoped & assumed they would remove the pencil but it came back still there. (shrug)

776488523_ASM144BU9.4Front.jpeg.6e9405ae24da9853eeba0d5091260c63.jpeg1021767334_ASM144Front9_4W.jpeg.edc54dec2c4307a5aa86aa3307d68f70.jpeg

That's unfortunate, such a clean looking book, would be nice if you could get that pencil removed.

I mentioned this in another thread about self pressing, but my experience with CCS is,  they use a very light touch.  

There are third party people who could look at the book and tell you what they could realistically do.   And with them you would be able to communicate exactly what you trying to achieve.  

I've never been able to get CCS on the phone to talk about my book. CGC customer service has been great,  but with general info. I can't call them and say "what would you do to this book?" Which means you kind of fly blind when you submit to CCS. 

15 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I don't know why they didn't remove mine then. I paid an extra $25 and waited an extra 75 working days.

Maybe I'll write it on a post it that I want it removed and indicate where.

26 minutes ago, Paul S is the Best! said:

Wouldn't it cost more to remove it than the book is worth?

Probably, but that's something that should have been done during pressing.  Maybe he could call them and have it sent back.