• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM JLA #30 - Grade is in
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Pulled out old comic collection to prepare for a move.  Found a couple issues that I think I should get graded.  Trying to figure out what a reasonable declared value would be but would like some thoughts on ballpark appropriate grade.  The front left corner has a slight crease and the staple looks a little bit out of place.  No loose pages though.  The back has a yellow streak at the top left that extends to almost mid page. img20210429_20034213.jpg.783cfbf8e9ed7a77c6671e7fbd9af882.jpgPXL_20210429_232750293.thumb.jpg.0e20161b595f9b71a04a9dc9212733c2.jpgThanks!1873933109_img20210429_20005228(2).jpg.af57b4586acb2cfb47d1e960b1ede517.jpg

EDIT:  Thanks for the assist in evaluating this issue.  It helped me decide what to, and more importantly what NOT to send in.  I ended up with some hits and some misses but am overall very pleased with the results.

PXL_20220512_110816802.jpg

Edited by The_Sneeze_Coolbreeze
Comic Graded by CGC

15 hours ago, The_Sneeze_Coolbreeze said:

The back has a yellow streak at the top left that extends to almost mid page

Oxidation shadow, caused by that part of the book being exposed to the elements, heat, air etc. 

At 6.0 figure about $60 graded...

Thanks for the explanation of the shadow;  I couldn't figure out what happened there when it had been in a box and cover for @35 years or so.  Is this something that a press/clean process would improve?  I am not expecting to sell anything but am considering getting some of these graded/protected for display purposes.  Still at the very start of the process and finding there's always more to learn . . .

2 minutes ago, The_Sneeze_Coolbreeze said:

Thanks for the explanation of the shadow;  I couldn't figure out what happened there when it had been in a box and cover for @35 years or so.  Is this something that a press/clean process would improve?  I am not expecting to sell anything but am considering getting some of these graded/protected for display purposes.  Still at the very start of the process and finding there's always more to learn . . .

Nope. A dust or sun shadow is something that has affected the paper quality and cannot be undone. 

As for grade, 6.0-6.5 which, if you spend money to grade it, would mean you are spending more money than the book us worth. 

Honestly not trying to be dense here.  Isn't one of the benefits of this process the fact that the issue ends up encapsulated - ie protected and presentable?  I'm not sure but isn't it similar to getting a painting framed?  I'm not sure I've ever held the final product in my hands but that's what I'm envisioning.

2 hours ago, The_Sneeze_Coolbreeze said:

Honestly not trying to be dense here.  Isn't one of the benefits of this process the fact that the issue ends up encapsulated - ie protected and presentable?  I'm not sure but isn't it similar to getting a painting framed?  I'm not sure I've ever held the final product in my hands but that's what I'm envisioning.

It is...especially if you want it for your personal collection.  For resale, not worth the investment...that's what was suggested.  It's in the eye of the beholder. (thumbsu  6.0 as is.

Welcome to the boards!!!