• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Guard says Market Bubble vs New Guard says Market Correction. What say you?
1 1

209 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

No it was about me proving my point that is easier to make money from comics for the past 20 years than average investing.  I am saying if people had the same work structure they could out perform their stock portfolio by 500%.  Its not that hard. 

If more people were doing it then the gains would not be as high.

Folks are pointing to bubble slab and raw prices mostly on ebay, but other auction sites. I am comparing those slab and raw prices to the stock market. You are talking about finding an undervalued raw book (possiby in the wild), possibly pressing it, slabbing it, etc etc. There's a lot of expertise and knowledge that goes into finding the books that will be winners. If you've been doing 500% better than the stock market playing with comics you should have been doing it full time.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Folks are pointing to bubble slab and raw prices mostly on ebay, but other auction sites. I am comparing those slab and raw prices to the stock market. You are talking about finding an undervalued raw book (possiby in the wild), possibly pressing it, slabbing it, etc etc. There's a lot of expertise and knowledge that goes into finding the books that will be winners. If you've been doing 500% better than the stock market playing with comics you should have been doing it full time.

John is full time,  a full time comic bum who posts every once in awhile and spending his afternoons playing golf.

:jokealert:.

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

If Movie's have been announced they are already in.  Be ahead of the crowd,  not following it.

True, I was thinking they may peak around when they appear in the first trailer or something. Hard to time but I am not actively buying these books to hold, just holding what I already have had for a few years. 

Just now, the blob said:

Yes, I have been doing this full time since 2009.  Investing in stock market I also enjoy very much now again.  

52 minutes ago, the blob said:

We do not even know who created bitcoin. Those governments will prop up those currencies. Who will do that for bitcoin? Listen, I don't know squat about how it all works either and maybe my brain has not evolved to the point of being able to comprehend it. I am not playing with it, but when it crashes, it will take us all down with it.

I used to think bitcoin could just "go to zero" because there's nothing there.  The first thing that made me look at it twice is the cost of bitcoin mining.  The amount of computing power required to produce a single bitcoin is about $15,000 in electricity.  So, it's conceivable that the price could drop to $15,000, but the price to "create" a bitcoin is unlikely to be higher than the price to purchase one (for very long).  The supply is fixed, the cost to produce is fixed (and doubles every four years, with the cost of electricity also changing), so the only thing remaining is demand.  "Regular people" don't own bitcoin now, so the demand is unlikely to go anywhere but up, if "regular people" decide they want even a little bit(coin).  Holding currency has always been a loss.  $1 in 1950 bought a lot more than $1 today, so holding $1 for 70 years would be useless, unless you have something that beats the rate of inflation (after taxes).  Interest on savings accounts won't do it.  There are lots of ways to make and lose money, so they could all be genius or stupid... but "early adoption" of good ideas tends to pay off best.  What's "early" in currency or stocks right now?  IPOs of unproven companies for bargain prices, or IPOs of good companies at many multiples of their actual revenue?  That's about it.

Edited by valiantman

6 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Ironic since you correlated getting into stocks as finding the next Amazon.com 

I think you missed my point.  If I would have found the next Amazon then sure it would outperform most of my comic book sales.  I am saying since finding the next Amazon is very tough and IMO its much easier to find the next comic book.  I enjoy investing in the stock market very much.  I dont have a million dollar portfolio like some here on the boards, but I do okay.  

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I think you missed my point.  If I would have found the next Amazon then sure it would outperform most of my comic book sales.  I am saying since finding the next Amazon is very tough and IMO its much easier to find the next comic book.  I enjoy investing in the stock market very much.  I dont have a million dollar portfolio like some here on the boards, but I do okay.  

Ah 👌🆗

I dont have much of a portfolio myself, but something I am starting to work on

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Of course,  pop them through the toaster,  press them up,  post them and come back throwing $20's to everyone.  Get those attaboys in the copper forum,  add them to the "What's hot on ebay" and Thor 339's start coming out of the woodwork.

The Dealer Happy meal budget is increased to Chik Fil A across the board.

Save a life today

This is a great summary of the current process.  I wonder what happens when 2-3 month delays at CGC start to cause some of these guys to miss the peak 9.8 prices as defined by the hot Disney+ character of the week.......?

Just now, RonS2112 said:

This is a great summary of the current process.  I wonder what happens when 2-3 month delays at CGC start to cause some of these guys to miss the peak 9.8 prices as defined by the hot Disney+ character of the week.......?

I sent in my Wolverine 88

Not my brightest move, but being honest, not my dumbest move

11 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

I wish I could do this full time. I hate my job

I need 3.24 million to retire, now just to get my hands on a action 1

you really don't need $3.24 million

5 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

I look at this market as a great opportunity to sell these copper/modern books at prices I could have never dreamed of getting.

I say enjoy the ride, and put that money to good use.  (shrug) 

44 minutes ago, the blob said:

Does/did VA have capacity restrictions for events like this?

I'd go to a con now. I've been vaccinated. I am pretty comfortable about masks and such.

I would not have gone in August.

There is a lot of pent up demand for this stuff.

Ebay is fine and all, but paying $4-8 shipping on every order and taxes makes a lot of books not worth buying. If you're buying a $15 book you practically need it to double in value for it to begin to be worth selling. Even a $30 book often costs $38 after shipping and taxes. You need a 50% bump to begin to break even.

Shipping (and taxes) are what make me decide not to buy stuff. So I am tending to buy more expensive stuff where the shipping is less of a portion of the price.

So I can totally see why shows are the place to go.

Also, what do you consider a modern book? Stuff from the last 5 years or stuff from 1993 onward?

And since when is people coming to shows a bad thing? I'd see folks posting pic of small local shows over the years and, frankly, they looked empty and depressing. The guy in Buffalo, those pics are sad. 

VA does have capacity limits, but until recently this particular con was able to stay within those limits.  Healthy attendance, but not too crowded.

What I call "modern" is kinda fuzzy.  Generally 1993 onward, with a focus on the last five years :) I buy a bit of everything, so "modern" isn't a negative to me, but a focus on modern does seem to describe a certain demographic of seller and buyer.

And I never said people coming to shows was a bad thing.  I was responding to a question on whether the "influx of hobbyists" was "real" and I was presenting a point to indicate that it was in fact, a real thing.  Furthermore, the sellers I have a relationship with at this local con are still selling (to me) at pre-2020 prices.  And I don't think I'm unique in that.  These guys need to make a living and so they need to sell.  Along those lines, I think more of this behavior as the bigger cons heat up will go a long way towards popping this current bubble.

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I used to think bitcoin could just "go to zero" because there's nothing there.  The first thing that made me look at it twice is the cost of bitcoin mining.  The amount of computing power required to produce a single bitcoin is about $15,000 in electricity.  So, it's conceivable that the price could drop to $15,000, but the price to "create" a bitcoin is unlikely to be higher than the price to purchase one (for very long).  The supply is fixed, the cost to produce is fixed (and doubles every four years, with the cost of electricity also changing), so the only thing remaining is demand.  "Regular people" don't own bitcoin now, so the demand is unlikely to go anywhere but up, if "regular people" decide they want even a little bit(coin).  Holding currency has always been a loss.  $1 in 1950 bought a lot more than $1 today, so holding $1 for 70 years would be useless, unless you have something that beats the rate of inflation (after taxes).  Interest on savings accounts won't do it.  There are lots of ways to make and lose money, so they could all be genius or stupid... but "early adoption" of good ideas tends to pay off best.  What's "early" in currency or stocks right now?  IPOs of unproven companies?  That's about it.

Is that true? I thought lots of folks were dabbling. A few years ago one of my local delis had a sign saying they accepted payment in bitcoin. i took a picture of it. Makes me think a lot of folks are dabbling.

11 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I wish I could just rent out a cgc grader for a couple of days and have the pre-screen done at my house. for the old price, of course.

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

Is that true? I thought lots of folks were dabbling. A few years ago one of my local delis had a sign saying they accepted payment in bitcoin. i took a picture of it. Makes me think a lot of folks are dabbling.

Do you have any?  Anyone in your family?  Friends?  Yes, taking payments in bitcoin is a fun "dabble", but there are financial advisors who are switching from recommending "NO CRYPTO" to all their clients to starting to recommend that clients try 1% to 5% in crypto, keeping 95% to 99% "steady as she goes..."   But that's retirement funds, people have half a million dollars, or a million, or whatever.  1% would be $5,000 or $10,000... 5% would be $25K, etc.  There are literally only 21,000,000 bitcoins.  Ever.  About 19,000,000 exist now.  So, at $55,000 each, it only takes 11 people putting in $5K (1% of a $500K retirement account) to "eat up" a whole bitcoin.  Baby boomers are retiring, and they have fixed incomes with little "changes before death" even possible.  They COULD make some big positive gains by risking 1% of their retirement.  Is it worth it?  Some might think so, but generally, they don't... yet.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Do you have any?  Anyone in your family?  Friends?  Yes, taking payments in bitcoin is a fun "dabble", but there are financial advisors who are switching from recommending "NO CRYPTO" to all their clients to starting to recommend that clients try 1% to 5% in crypto, keeping 95% to 99% "steady as she goes..."   But that's retirement funds, people have half a million dollars, or a million, or whatever.  1% would be $5,000 or $10,000... 5% would be $25K, etc.  There are literally only 21,000,000 bitcoins.  Ever.  About 19,000,000 exist now.  So, at $55,000 each, it only takes 11 people putting in $5K (1% of a $500K retirement account) to "eat up" a whole bitcoin.  Baby boomers are retiring, and they have fixed incomes with little "changes before death" even possible.  They COULD make some big positive gains by risking 1% of their retirement.  Is it worth it?  Some might think so, but generally, they don't... yet.

I have high school friends on facebook who say they dabble. I am not sure how someone buys a sandwich with bitcoin. You can use .0001% of a bitcoin?

I know I should not criticize things that hurt my brain. But internet stocks selling for 1,000 P/E (or that were never making money) in 2000 hurt my brain too.

With that said, my parent's apartment being worth $750K in 1997 hurt my brain to the point i told them they had better unload it. It is now $2.5-3 million.

How would someone have even bought bitcoin in 2010? How do they do it now? Hurts my brain.

Missing the boat on apple at 60 cents a share is easier to grasp.