• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Standard Pressing Ordered - Are these notes consistent?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I ordered a Standard pressing and a Standard Grading for ASM 14. Here are the graders' notes:

light staining to cover
light tanning interior back cover
light tanning interior front cover
moderate creasing to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

I get the staining and tanning, but is the moderate creasing not the type of thing a standard pressing is meant to remove?

Just now, StarV100 said:

I ordered a Standard pressing and a Standard Grading for ASM 14. Here are the graders' notes:

light staining to cover

I get the staining and tanning, but is the moderate creasing not the type of thing a standard pressing is meant to remove?

If it was a quick press, then it's possible not all the creases were removed.

Otherwise, it's still possible to have creases on a cover after pressing, that don't break color, but can't be entirely removed.

1 hour ago, StarV100 said:

light staining to cover

No, pressing is not guaranteed to remove moderate creasing, it only flattens the book. It can remove light non colour breaking creases, as well as bends. Moderate creasing will leave marks behind when pressed like the broken fibers, so even if the book now falls flat, the creasing marks will be noted and your book will be hit. Look at the example below which has moderate creasing with no colour breaks. While the creasing has improved, it's still there. Your book will still be hit as hard with the grading but it will look better.

Creases-Img.jpg

Edited by William-James88

4 minutes ago, Miss me? said:

Then what does "moderate spine stress lines to cover" mean? ???

It means there are spine stress lines, and regardless of breaking color or not, will always be there. It is what it is.

There is a common misconception that pressing magically removes creases - and that is true sometimes. But as others have said, pressing flattens the book, and more often than not there is and will always be evidence of a crease.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, William-James88 said:

No, pressing is not guaranteed to remove moderate creasing, it only flattens the book. It can remove light non colour breaking creases, as well as bends. Moderate creasing will leave marks behind when pressed like the broken fibers, so even if the book now falls flat, the creasing marks will be noted and your book will be hit. Look at the example below which has moderate creasing with no colour breaks. While the creasing has improved, it's still there. Your book will still be hit as hard with the grading but it will look better.

Creases-Img.jpg

I’ve often mentioned this because the white border will look as though it’s flawless but upon further inspection, the gloss will be gone in those creased areas and the pressing can’t replace that. At times it’s overlooked by the person submitting the book.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, StarV100 said:

It was a full Standard Press. $60. Moderate spine stress?

I've heard that spine stress can be harder to remove than creases or bends because it's usually done by hand (and I really hope Greggy doesn't follow this up with a "That's what she said...")  lol 

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I've heard that spine stress can be harder to remove than creases or bends because it's usually done by hand (and I really hope Greggy doesn't follow this up with a "That's what she said...")  lol 

image.png.87f19abf25519c40879cfc30fb347b39.png