• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying Raws on EBay???

24 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

Its not new. It's usually what you want to look for on higher grade books as an indication if the book was pressed or not.

But all the other McFarlane ASM books I had graded in 2020 were from the same collection as the 300s.

2 of each: 298, 299 and 316...no finger bends.

Meh...

59 minutes ago, lostboys said:

But all the other McFarlane ASM books I had graded in 2020 were from the same collection as the 300s.

2 of each: 298, 299 and 316...no finger bends.

Meh...

don't know what to tell you.

For the OP though, I have an actual example of why I don't recommend the tactic (or at least proof that it's not at all a sure fire way to get a deal).

Here is a book I bought on auction for 61$ 
Item #51851851 Front Cover: Batman #567 VF+ 8.5

Was said to be around the NM or more area. I got it and yeah, at best a NM (none of that "or more" nonsense). Personally, I would have sold it as a 9.2.

I bought it in November. Let's say I did get it graded, I would only get it back now. A 9.4 now goes for this:

image.thumb.png.821c479ead2beae23ecaa22792b93307.png

Same price I bought my raw comic for. Not saying the price on the raw comic is bad or the transaction sucked, it was market price and indeed the grade the seller said. But the tactic you suggest of getting it graded (which would be about about $50-60 these days when all the fees are tabulated) would be a massive waste of money. Personally, I don't mind because I'm also the one who bought that graded copy I just posted. 

Instead of grading my comic, I just bought a graded copy, and it came out to the same price xD 

However, for the the person who did grade that Detective 567 which I purchase, they made nothing (cause they have to pay commission for the sale). They would have made more money selling it raw. That's why you see raws selling on e-bay, they are more profitable for many sellers.

Edited by William-James88

8 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

don't know what to tell you.

For the OP though, I have an actual example of why I don't recommend the tactic (or at least proof that it's not at all a sure fire way to get a deal).

Here is a book I bought on auction for 61$ 
Item #51851851 Front Cover: Batman #567 VF+ 8.5

Was said to be around the NM or more area. I got it and yeah, at best a NM (none of that "or more" nonsense). Personally, I would have sold it as a 9.2.

I bought it in November. Let's say I did get it graded, I would only get it back now. A 9.4 now goes for this:

image.thumb.png.821c479ead2beae23ecaa22792b93307.png

Same price I bought my raw comic for. Not saying the price on the raw comic is bad or the transaction sucked, it was market price and indeed the grade the seller said. But the tactic you suggest of getting it graded (which would be about about $50-60 these days when all the fees are tabulated) would be a massive waste of money. Personally, I don't mind because I'm also the one who bought that graded copy I just posted. 

Instead of grading my comic, I just bought a graded copy, and it came out to the same price xD 

However, for the the person who did grade that Detective 567 which I purchase, they made nothing (cause they have to pay commission for the sale). They would have made more money selling it raw. That's why you see raws selling on e-bay, they are more profitable for many sellers.

Yeah...i didn't expect you to tell me anything, boss.

That's what the"meh" was about...