• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New looking for some advice

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys! 

Im new to grading and have been looking to send off my first small collection of Pokémon cards to grade. It's been an absolute nightmare deciding who I'd like to use for this. These cards are for my personal collection and id only consider selling if for example I thought a card would get a 9 and it got a 7 ect. Then I'd try with such card again. Anyway, I was just about to use a middle man and they've all uped their prices to £20 a card for sub grading (which I want). I've been looking at the yearly membership of 25 bucks which allows me to send them off myself (from the UK). Just wondered is it worthwile doing it myself or still better to use a middle man? Was trying to figure out the price of a single card through cgc direct but I'm not 100%. Thanks! 

I actually became a middleman for myself and my friends as it made it easier for all of us. I found it better to do it myself first, then offered it to them. The process of sending and submitting is pretty straightforward. The website does a decent job of explaining it. I know in the usa it's $10/card for subgrades. If it's the same thing in the uk, if it's double the price to go through that middleman, maybe easier to cough out the $25 on our own and save longer term on the grading if you want to add cards rather than go through them. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions though, happy to help.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:30 PM, JoeCheezus said:

I actually became a middleman for myself and my friends as it made it easier for all of us. I found it better to do it myself first, then offered it to them. The process of sending and submitting is pretty straightforward. The website does a decent job of explaining it. I know in the usa it's $10/card for subgrades. If it's the same thing in the uk, if it's double the price to go through that middleman, maybe easier to cough out the $25 on our own and save longer term on the grading if you want to add cards rather than go through them. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions though, happy to help.

Thanks for the reply! Well that was it, I plan to be collecting for the foreseeable future now so id be resubmitting to CGC serval times which would make the membership worthwhile. I'm struggling to work out the price of a subgrade card bulk tho on their website, any idea what that is? I've got 11 cards to send at the moment. 

6 hours ago, Ajbooth said:

Thanks for the reply! Well that was it, I plan to be collecting for the foreseeable future now so id be resubmitting to CGC serval times which would make the membership worthwhile. I'm struggling to work out the price of a subgrade card bulk tho on their website, any idea what that is? I've got 11 cards to send at the moment. 

I’ve been a middle man in the UK for 6 months at the point. If you are sending 11 cards bulk with subgrades you will be paying the cost to ship them there, $25 per card to grade them, $100 for return shipping (without insurance), potentially $3 fee from your bank for non GBP payment, plus potential £21 customs fee. It’s cheaper to use a middle man 

14 hours ago, Ajbooth said:

Essentially it's the card tier fee (so the bulk price per card) and sub grade cost per card.  So bulk in the us is $15/card is a 50 card minimum (so $750) and with sub grades at $10/card it would be 50 cards times 10 so $500. Would be around $1250 in the us for bulk+sub grades. With 11 cards, maybe easier to just send economy as there is no minimum amount of cards.