• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark jewelers as variant?

9 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Bazookatooth64 said:

First submission I’m sending in, one book has a mark jewelers insert. Do I put that as a variant or will cgc catch it and label it as such on the slab?

They SHOULD catch it, but I'd recommend notating it on your packing slip and with a sticky note on the bag of the book.

I add it to the variant slot on the sub form. I recently sent in 8 or so books, all MJV, and CGC missed one. It was not a big deal at all. I asked to resub it, they informed me how to create a "mechanical error" sub. It was back within the month. The custom label was retained, even though it was retired. That was cool.

I have also had "Mark Jewelers" variants missed on two different successive submissions to CGC..they did relabel and reholder them after my doing the "mechanical error" resubmissions ..I am at a loss, though as to how the MJ variants could be "missed" if the grader did actual page counts and inspections..

8 minutes ago, john h ferguson said:

I have also had "Mark Jewelers" variants missed on two different successive submissions to CGC..they did relabel and reholder them after my doing the "mechanical error" resubmissions ..I am at a loss, though as to how the MJ variants could be "missed" if the grader did actual page counts and inspections..

Couple reasons how it could be missed...

1) The grader enters this info into a computer presumably. They forget to click it properly from the dropdown. It is a mistake but one that I am sure happens.

2) The grader does not check the interior. Which is a terrible omission but you can bet it has happened (grading last book of the day maybe) and they just look front and back, yup its a VF, let me enter this in and be on my way home.

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Couple reasons how it could be missed...

1) The grader enters this info into a computer presumably. They forget to click it properly from the dropdown. It is a mistake but one that I am sure happens.

2) The grader does not check the interior. Which is a terrible omission but you can bet it has happened (grading last book of the day maybe) and they just look front and back, yup its a VF, let me enter this in and be on my way home.

18 hours ago, john h ferguson said:

Thanks for your input, ..I agree with both of your assessments,..human nature is what it is...

My measuring stick is how well does CGC handle errors? Do they make it right? If they legitimately do try to fix it and in the end, correct a mistake as best they can, then I am fine with that.

It is when they don't do this, blame the customer, ignore the customer, etc. that a company will lose my business. 

The problem is, with social media and all, the bad moments and mistakes are glorified and seem to be more prevalent. But realistically, that's because (if one chooses) you can see and find a lot of CGCs mistakes. There is no shortage of people on Youtube blasting them about whatever, there is no shortage of people on Instagram doing the same. Are all of these complaints valid? Maybe...but at the end of the day, when compared to the successes, these failures CGC has are in line with failure rates that are normal for every company. If they were actually bad graders, if they were actually making these mistakes at a rate that was unacceptable, there would be a lot fewer people sending in their books to them. That has not happened and I doubt it will.

Now this is not to say CGC is not at risk of losing their status as the "gold standard" for grading. They could definitely stand to improve in some areas in the wake of the last year. It seems they are trying but I still question some of their choices right now (adding signings when they are as behind as they are on grading for example).