• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does tape affect grade?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Many of the comics I bought from a dealer in the '70s came from the collection of someone who thought it was a good idea to protect his books by taping up all 4 sides.

Here is an example:

image.png.2efb16e0786d9a4cf3d56a019aacf61f.png

So my question is: how does this book grade with the tape? Let's say if it would have been a 5 otherwise, does it automatically go down to 2, or what? Even though it is not worth grading by CGC if I were to try to sell it I would have to know what level to aim at.

I am angry at that dealer who saw a good opportunity to unload these books at full price.

When there's a heavier amount of tape (such as in the example above) it will drastically drag the grade down. From what I can see, I'd estimate the above book would probably end up in the Good range or lower. What could affect the grade even more is if there are stains on the interior because of the tape repair or if the book has other problems as well. It's always a real shame to see this type of thing, because it's usually unnecessary...  :(

Edited by The Lions Den

29 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Many of the comics I bought from a dealer in the '70s came from the collection of someone who thought it was a good idea to protect his books by taping up all 4 sides.

Here is an example:

So my question is: how does this book grade with the tape? Let's say if it would have been a 5 otherwise, does it automatically go down to 2, or what? Even though it is not worth grading by CGC if I were to try to sell it I would have to know what level to aim at.

I am angry at that dealer who saw a good opportunity to unload these books at full price.

Tape is accepted at 4.0

So if it would be a 5.0, it's now a 4.0

If it would be a 4.0, it's still a 4.0

If it would be a 3.0, it's still a 3.0

I currently have a TOS 39 in now with some tape around the edges. I can post the results here. Today it says I am in the QUALIFIED category. Its for my PC so not really a deal breaker either way, but was always curious how it would grade out. Bought it for $40 back in the 1990s in this condition. image.thumb.jpeg.400171f5d9d9e09f3bf02064b571547e.jpeg

Edited by tthomasjr13

On 4/22/2024 at 10:22 AM, tthomasjr13 said:

Today it says I am in the QUALIFIED category.

A great issue, for sure!  But this copy is a beater.  Books with heavy wear and multiple blemishes/defects are typically NOT awarded Qualified Grades, so don't be surprised if the grade category changes.  Also, tape is not one of the features/flaws that makes a book eligible to be awarded a Qualified Grade.  Missing pages/panels/pieces?  Yes.  Detached covers and/or centerfolds?  Yes.  Married parts?  Yes.  Unwitnessed creator signatures on the cover?  Yes.  Tape?  No.  :foryou:

On 4/22/2024 at 1:22 PM, tthomasjr13 said:

I currently have a TOS 39 in now with some tape around the edges. I can post the results here. Today it says I am in the QUALIFIED category. Its for my PC so not really a deal breaker either way, but was always curious how it would grade out. Bought it for $40 back in the 1990s in this condition. image.thumb.jpeg.400171f5d9d9e09f3bf02064b571547e.jpeg

Is this book missing anything from the interior? hm

On 5/10/2021 at 1:26 AM, Albert Thurgood said:

Here is an example:

Never seen it before :roflmao:

On 4/22/2024 at 1:46 PM, zzutak said:

A great issue, for sure!  But this copy is a beater.  Books with heavy wear and multiple blemishes/defects are typically NOT awarded Qualified Grades, so don't be surprised if the grade category changes.  Also, tape is not one of the features/flaws that makes a book eligible to be awarded a Qualified Grade.  Missing pages/panels/pieces?  Yes.  Detached covers and/or centerfolds?  Yes.  Married parts?  Yes.  Unwitnessed creator signatures on the cover?  Yes.  Tape?  No.  :foryou:

You nailed it. Married back cover!!!