• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM G.I. Joe #1 - Weird Staple Defect - have a look!
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Hi all - would love to get your take on this GI Joe 1.  Outer structure of the book seems fine, however there's an issue with the staples I haven't seen before.  it appears that during manufacturing, the inner staple ends somehow went out instead of in.  This did cause some tearing to the centerfold, however it is securely fastened.  Any thoughts on the grade and how CGC would view this?  Thanks!

image0.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Yikes!!!  Can't say I've ever seen that.  With the cover being torn at those spots too...hm  I honestly don't know.  Guess I need to learn something new....again!!! lol

On 5/18/2021 at 3:03 PM, Galen130 said:

Yikes!!!  Can't say I've ever seen that.  With the cover being torn at those spots too...hm  I honestly don't know.  Guess I need to learn something new....again!!! lol

lol same! Is there a chance this would come back as "Qualified" from CGC?  Exterior looks great.

With the cover being torn at those spots too..

I'm not seeing any tears on the cover (shrug)

Edited by Skunkboy

3 minutes ago, Skunkboy said:

lol same! Is there a chance this would come back as "Qualified" from CGC?  Exterior looks great.

With the cover being torn at those spots too..

I'm not seeing any tears on the cover (shrug)

Isn't the paper split where the staple normally would be?  Looks that way, or I need Lasik. :preach:

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Isn't the paper split where the staple normally would be?  Looks that way, or I need Lasik. :preach:

lol Both staples are secured to the cover - there might be a little wear at the ends, but they're secure - I'll attach a better pic when I get home.  The real issue is the interior - significant tearing to the centerfold :cry:

Just now, Skunkboy said:

lol Both staples are secured to the cover - there might be a little wear at the ends, but they're secure - I'll attach a better pic when I get home.  The real issue is the interior - significant tearing to the centerfold :cry:

That's what I was referring to.  Lost in translation, I guess. :baiting:

6 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

9.0 on the low end

9.2 is likely even with up to a 1 inch tear of an interior page

thanks fort the insight!  Anything in that range would be wonderful - I paid $85 for it last week :banana:.   Now do I send it for a press first or sub it right to CGC? My impatient side wants to skip the press - that color breaking spine tic isnt going anywhere hm