• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guy buys hulk #1 fn 2 months ago now selling one in vf,vf+

24 posts in this topic

I love this comment:

"A question was asked if the staples have been replaced or cleaned.... I am not entirely sure of this do to the fact that the staples are very clean."

Show us the label bozo!

We need to report this obvious scammer or get one of the many set up accounts to bid on this item. This really is frustrating for me as a honest seller to see people try and rip people off. frown.gif The pics are so lame by the way.

not a coincidence.

the dimwit actually relisted the item and sold it as a non-CGC graded VF/VF+

yet, for the scans he actually left the book in the holder...

geez - IF you're going to sell a slabbed book unslabbed, at least take it out of the slab!!

this guy reeks like rustysstarwars.

interesting story. i emailed the seller. here is a copy of the text i sent.

just curious. is this book you are selling the same one that you won in this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32734&item=2155665978 that book was graded professionally, although lower than you are listing this one at. and it clearly lists the staple work being done. As the picture in your auction is of a professionally graded book(easily seen in your pictures), Perhaps you could clarify this matter. hard to judge whether to bid or not based on the clear fact that you are selling a previously CGC graded book in your auction yet you dont disclose a grade.

a short time later i recieved this email back (text only)

This book was not previously graded, it was simply put in one of our old CGC cases to protect the book from ageing. When I ship it to you I will put it in a turtle shell, so don't worry about that. I would gaurantee that this is a unrestored book, and if it did come back as restored I would refund your money, however, I can only gaurantee that this is unrestored, I can't gaurantee that the staples are original. I have resently bought a CGC copy that was a 6.5 with wite pages the only differance between my book and the CGC book is that mine is cleaner than the CGC book. The staples on the CGC book looked very clean and shiny. The staples on my book look very clean as well. The CGC book was unrestored with the staples being replaced, so it is very hard for me to say if the staples have or have not been replaced. I just can't tell, because the book is very clean so it is possible that they have not been replaced, but I really can't say. I do know for a fact that the book is NOT restored, so I will stand by that.Thank you and I hope you understand all of this. If you have any more questions, please feel free to email again. Thank You and Good Luck.

so you can judge for yourselves. I am not sure if it is same book or not, but alot is made of similarly "shiny" staples. but at least seller emailed a somewhat sensible response although i am not sure why the CGC holder prevents the book from aging.

i have a bunch of CGC books in holders and they get older every year grin.gif

I would gaurantee that this is a unrestored book, and if it did come back as restored I would refund your money, however, I can only gaurantee that this is unrestored, I can't gaurantee that the staples are original.

And we wonder if it's the same book that got a "replaced staples" notation and a much lower grade than he's advertising? I don't think we need Sherlock Holmes for this one. grin.gif

Here would be my list of questions to the seller:

Can I get a pic of both Hulk comics laying side-by-side so I can examine the differences?

Why did you buy a CGC 6.5 with replaced staples, if you already had a much better copy?

Why are selling off this much higher-grade copy?

Are you insane?

No really, are you insane?

Why are selling off this much higher-grade copy?

it was "ageing"(sic) poorly lol

or

they didnt want the 6.5 hulk

they simply wanted a spare CGC holder to put the much cleaner copy in to protect it. grin.gif

I e-mailed the buyer and told him that the book might be restored. He replied and I sent him links of the original auction, and of this thread. Hopefully he will be smart enough to forego this transaction. Best part of these boards is finding and exposing scams, even though you have to put up with some of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons here.

Best part of these boards is finding and exposing scams, even though you have to put up with some of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons here.

yep. but just a question as i would probably not have the huevos to email the buyer. what kind of trouble could you get in for that if the seller said that you sabatoged auction or some such thing. stops me many times from telling people bidding on scams that they are bidding on scams. In this case it is probably safe to assume seller wont raise too much fuss as the auction is a scam and ebay can not or should not punish someone for trying to stop a scam. but my guess is that next time this book goes up for sale, case will be cracked, staple will not be mentioned and auciton will be private. Anyone wanna bet!!??

as far as the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons thing goes, i was just starting to count myself among them grin.gif

"what kind of trouble could you get in for that if the seller said that you sabatoged auction or some such thing."

I don't really think about it. If I had won an auction that someone else knew was a scam, I would want them to tell me. What are they going to do? Kick me off Ebay? Seems pretty easy to create multiple accounts since almost everyone on these boards have them. I would just rejoin with another account.

That's a big one in my book as well, but only due to the incredible number of shill accounts out there. I once emailed the top bidder of an obvious scam and received some seriously irate and mentally unstable email back, threatening a lawsuit (from the buyer? lol) and all sorts of physical harm.

It was amusing in a way, but I can do without receiving bizarre email from 13-year old scam artists each and every morning.

What do you expect, they're all 13-year old lamers who dropped out after 8 years of kindergarten.

"Me huve Hulk 181, Rel key ishew. Werth lossa cache. No kin graade, butt looks grate!"

even though you have to put up with some of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons here.

You know what? EVERYONE (and I mean EVERYONE) is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person here at some time or another. You know why? Because we are not only talking about a subjective love of comics which range through horror, crime, romance, funny, superhero etc but now also talking about internet auctions and slabbed grades and restoration and conservaiton. Such is certainly going to waggle most brains - mine included.

I don't consider ANY of the REGULAR posters here insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. This ain't the Water Cooler, and everyone I have joked and many I have debated until I won because I was able to outlast them, and had some major disagreements with - all of them are aces in my book.

Sure, some of us, and I include myself in this as I got more comfortable with the boards, post jests and puns etc. But we also post really relevant information. I post about restoration and how to detect it, and about pre-code horror. Zilla posts about - well - gag-me books that are just plain awesome to see. AndrewKnight has a nice layering of intelligent posts. Greggy and Major and Bug post about - err - ummm - comic books - but GUSTO counts a lot! tongue.gifwink.gif ) Hammer posts about restoration concepts wirth admirable tenacity. Arty posts some amazing Disney covers and makes us remember thatg not all is X-Men #977. Donut is like a roving banshee posting everywhere and making more sense than I prefer to acknowledge! ( grin.gif ). Joanna is a one-woman show at times, giving us puzzles to assemble, GA books to appreciate without having to own, and a fresh realization of DC's place. Darth who kinds of Diesels his way through topic after variant. Rickdogg keeps tabs on the bad goings-on on the net and also adds his own perspectives to many areas. Bonds who brings a meaure of truth and sanity to many a thread, 14 of Spades who seems to post everywhere with only a couple of hundred under the belt, Doilby who comes around FAR too infrequently but when he does always sometihng interesting, Bachelor who, while maybe getting a bit too one-post-centirc, often has something intriquing to offer, Mister Comics who can display a strangley esoteric knowledge of obscure comic things, Mushroom with opinions on several topics that perk the percolator, Osborne Pate (err...France) who is just returning from Africa but also makes many a level and enjoyable post, Dam60 - one of the most levelheaded and a very interesting poster, MisterComics who seems to have a real handle on the GA and the current market, Fantastic Four whom I would NEVER think of out-posting!, HKP and his affection for the oldies and appreciaiton of what is going on now ...the list can go on and on. I wish I hadn't started it because there are more here than I have mentioned ::sigh::. But I don't want to delete it. (I KNOW tomorrow I will wake up and want add more).

But insufficiently_thoughtful_persons? What I want to say would probably earn me a year's worth of strikes!