• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DM Purchase and "I'll Take It" Purchase Occurred Almost Simultaneously
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I'm up in the air on this one. It seems like the consensus here is if I'm negotiating via PM and the seller agrees to a deal, that it isn't complete until the" I'll take it is" posted in public, or the dealer says the book is sold. So if I want to remain private, I'm now at the mercy of the seller who may post it right away or end up getting distracted and not post it for a few minutes.  If I buy a book via PM, and the deal is closed before anyone else posts it, I don't think I would be a happy, satisfied customer.   

Food for thought?

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I'm up in the air on this one. It seems like the consensus here is if I'm negotiating via PM and the seller agrees to a deal, that it isn't complete until the" I'll take it is" posted in public, or the dealer says the book is sold. So if I want to remain private, I'm now at the mercy of the seller who may post it right away or end up getting distracted and not post it for a few minutes.  If I buy a book via PM, and the deal is closed before anyone else posts it, I don't think I would be a happy, satisfied customer.   

Food for thought?

I agree with you on this and as @chrisco37mentioned, I have also bought lots of book in PM that I had the seller mark sold in order to keep the sale private. If this does happen, the seller should post in the thread that the book was sold earlier by PM and that he didn’t have time to post in the thread :takeit: . Time stamp of the sale in PM will show the 2nd buyer that the book was indeed sold earlier.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Food for thought?

I don't know the best way to handle this either. This same incident happened to me. I negotiated with the seller, and he said he would sell me the book. Before I could post "I'll take it" in the thread and before the seller could post "SOLD" in the thread, another board member posted his own "I'll take it" in the thread. So I missed out on a book that I would have liked to have, but, to me, that's the chance you have to take if you choose to negotiate. I tried to save a few bucks ($30, as a matter of fact), and I missed out. I understood that going in, and I was fine with the seller selling the other book to the other seller.

If CGC would put time stamps that you could see the instant you post or PM something, it would be much easier. Unfortunately, until 24 hours have passed, all you get is "XX hours ago." I didn't want to say to either seller, "Well, we're going to have to wait over 24 hours to see who actually posted first." I don't think anyone would be happy with that choice, including me.

4 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I agree with you on this and as @chrisco37mentioned, I have also bought lots of book in PM that I had the seller mark sold in order to keep the sale private. If this does happen, the seller should post in the thread that the book was sold earlier by PM and that he didn’t have time to post in the thread :takeit: . Time stamp of the sale in PM will show the 2nd buyer that the book was indeed sold earlier.

I'll take your word for it that time stamps appear immediately in a PM. But I also can tell you that a time stamp for a post is not visible until after 24 hours. How would you handle this?

12 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I'll take your word for it that time stamps appear immediately in a PM. But I also can tell you that a time stamp for a post is not visible until after 24 hours. How would you handle this?

If this were to occur, I would ask buyer 2 to wait the 24 hours for the time stamp proof if he demands it. I doubt any purchase is so urgent that it couldn’t wait (if needed) 24 hours to officially complete to make both sides happy. It’s tricky for sure but I would hope most boardies are reasonable enough to not take it this far and accept that the seller is telling the truth.