• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics Silver age CGC - And some important info

12 posts in this topic

I must start by saying that I mean no offense by posting this article here. It is posted in the Comics Marketplace (where it belongs) but I thought it may be of some interest because of other issues I talk about and NOT for the purpose of incresased sales. If you want a link to my auctions or to my website, please go to the Comics Marketplace, as I do not want to create a problem here.

Here is the ad:

I have a nice group of Action Comics listed on ebay. Both Silver and Bronze. 9.2 - 9.6!

*Some are the Highest Recorded grade, with others being one of the top copies.

*All are NM and All have great covers. For you Neil Adams fans, there are some beauties.

*All are completely virgin if that means anything to you and all have never been resubmitted.

I am kind of a whimp at that and just sell them as I buy them - in their original case.

For your information, out of nearly 4000 CGC books that I have owned, I have only resubmitted around 20 of them over a five year period. And nearly half of that number were sent to CGC in their case. I only resubmit if I am certain that the book is nicer than the assigned grade, which is rare because CGC does a great job with their initial grading. Even then, I am still very hesitant because I don't want to risk getting a lower grade. Consquently, I believe that I am CGC's worst customer (sorry Steve and Mark).

But to make up for it, I buy CGC graded books almost exclusively. I say "almost exclusively" because I do buy a few raw books once in a while. I have very moderate success at that by the way.

Anyway, this group of Actions is really nice and they are very rare. You can haunt ebay for more than a year and never find these issues offered in such nice shape. I know because I am always looking.

I am kind of a DC FANatic and really try to find all I can but have concluded that they are near impossible to assemble in sets because they are extremely rare in NM. So what you buy from me is the work of several years and a lot of hunting. That is why I kept my website prices on the high side, because I know just how rare these books are. Eventually the hobby will recognize this and prices will adjust in the Guide to reflect the rarity situation.

Keep looking for my auctions during the next few weeks. After that I will stop the $1 auctions.

And NO, I am NOT selling out. I am just reorganizing and trying to win some new collectors.

And nearly half of that number were sent to CGC in their case. I only resubmit if I am certain that the book is nicer than the assigned grade, which is rare because CGC does a great job with their initial grading. Even then, I am still very hesitant because I don't want to risk getting a lower grade

Mark,

You bought a Conan 1 CGC 9.2 white pages from me about 4 years ago, only to have it on your site as a 9.0.

With a little note about how you thought it looked nicer than a 9.2 and yet CGC lowered the grade on it. - If it was sent in the CGC holder, it should have come back the same grade..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mike

Mark,

You bought a Conan 1 CGC 9.2 white pages from me about 4 years ago, only to have it on your site as a 9.0.

With a little note about how you thought it looked nicer than a 9.2 and yet CGC lowered the grade on it. - If it was sent in the CGC holder, it should have come back the same grade..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mike

On a resubmittal (whether the book is sent in the CGC holder or not), the book is regraded without regard to the original grade. It can come back lower, the same, or higher than the original grade.

Mark,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Out of the small amount of books that I resubmitted to CGC a little more than half were sent in out of the holder. The Conan #1 is one of the books I learned my lesson on. It came back a 9.0. I really thought it would get the 9.4 grade but it came back lower than the 9.2 it was originally assigned. CGC is tough and rightfully so, but I did learn just to send them in their holders and ask for a second look, or just not bother at all with it. Too risky for me.

Now some collectors might complain that CGC should grade it a 9.2 each and every time but we are talking about a sliver of a grade here and they were very close. I actually have submitted TEST books, just to see how CGC does on the same book but on diffferent days. I have been impressed becuase this book was graded the same twice (8.0) and once 7.5 ( I cracked it out and did this without telling them). The book is worth a whopping $45 but I will never sell it smile.gif I will probably submit it again some day.

The best way to resubmit is to at least send the original CGC label back with the book. THis is good advice for collectors who like to crack open their books and flip through them. Just keep the label inserted in the back of the mylar because you never know if the day may come where you sell the book.

Mark