• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete 1977 Marvel 35 cent price variant set

74 posts in this topic

I am blown away by the difficulty of this set. People looking to finish this set have to have looked at every copy of certain books in every box, auction listing and whatever and some of them are still as rare as hen's teeth.

I am blown away by the difficulty of this set. People looking to finish this set have to have looked at every copy of certain books in every box, auction listing and whatever and some of them are still as rare as hen's teeth.

Put it this way. I long ago stopped even thinking about doing the 35 cent set, but have been looking for variants, both 30s and 35s, since 1997. I've never seen a Flinstones 1 variant. I've seen pictures, so I know it exists, but actually seeing one? Nope. Terry's achievement is still amazing - I'll bet that is still the only one.

Put it this way. I long ago stopped even thinking about doing the 35 cent set, but have been looking for variants, both 30s and 35s, since 1997. I've never seen a Flinstones 1 variant. I've seen pictures, so I know it exists, but actually seeing one? Nope. Terry's achievement is still amazing - I'll bet that is still the only one.

Yeah, I should pull back a little because there are also a bunch of people like you (and me to some extent) that still stop and check when looking through longboxes for books in the variant ranges. The rare books are uncommon at 30 cents.

Is this the hardest set to put together in the whole hobby? Merely putting together this set, without regard to grade, has to be the hardest thing out there. I'd say that some of the really monumental sets are tougher but then i remember that there are two complete DC sets...

I've never seen a Flinstones 1 variant. I've seen pictures, so I know it exists, but actually seeing one? Nope.

Yes, I've seen pictures. I've never seen one in reality.

Yeah, I should pull back a little because there are also a bunch of people like you (and me to some extent) that still stop and check when looking through longboxes for books in the variant ranges. The rare books are uncommon at 30 cents.

Is this the hardest set to put together in the whole hobby? Merely putting together this set, without regard to grade, has to be the hardest thing out there. I'd say that some of the really monumental sets are tougher but then i remember that there are two complete DC sets...

Its got to be up there.

I will say, however, that I have recently been finding more and more 35s in the wild. They are always "common" ones, and they're never in really nice shape, but I used to go a long time without finding any, and now I can get one or two at almost every show I hit, especially around here. I wonder why that is.

Its got to be up there.

I will say, however, that I have recently been finding more and more 35s in the wild. They are always "common" ones, and they're never in really nice shape, but I used to go a long time without finding any, and now I can get one or two at almost every show I hit, especially around here. I wonder why that is.

Did you find any last weekend?

I've never seen a Flinstones 1 variant. I've seen pictures, so I know it exists, but actually seeing one? Nope.

Yes, I've seen pictures. I've never seen one in reality.

I know, just giving another picture. :insane:

Its got to be up there.

Did you find any last weekend?

Yes! Two Friday morning, and I wasn't really looking that hard.